May Post #8: Face masks, face masks, and more face masks
As of today I've completed 127 face masks for friends and family around the country. They're gone as far as Connecticut, California, Wisconsin, Arizona, and Oklahoma while most are scattered around Colorado.
I started by just making a few for Irv, Mary, Shiloh, and myself, but when I posted them on Facebook several people asked if they could have one. As you can see in the photo above, I now cut out about six at a time.
Dana requested some wine-themed masks. With local fabric stores being closed I had to search online for supplies. Etsy turned out to be the best place to find fun fabric, although I think several sellers were price gouging. I make little Georgie some, but they were size 3-6 and didn't fit. I've made her one for bigger kids that I need to get in the mail...there's no hurry though because she doesn't go anywhere.
This is my sewing buddy. She mainly sits close by to steal the elastic pieces that I cut for the ear pieces.
This is my favorite mask and I didn't even make it. When I went to my doctor's office several weeks ago they gave it to me. It fits perfectly.
The sugar skull or day of the dead masks were the most popular. Several of Mary's friends asked for those. I think my brother likes his too.
I found some outdoorsy fabric to make masks for when (and if) I go to Yellowstone this summer.
The biggest batch of masks when to my brother's long-term care facility in Tulsa.
Did I mention that my sewing buddy likes to eat thread too? Sometimes she starts gagging and I have to pull out the thread she has attempted to eat.
I've made about 30 masks with some National Park Service fabric that I found on Etsy. If I go to Yellowstone these will go with me for my fellow rangers. I know they're not part of the official uniform, but they aren't going to stop me from wearing a mask around the public.
They're doing lots to keep us safe when the park eventually reopens--no cash will be accepted, they're installing Plexiglas in all the entrance station windows, they have negative pressure in each booth, and they're ordered credit card devices so that we don't have to touch the guest's credit cards. There's still no planned opening date although the concessionaires are saying they're opening on June 15th.
So, do you wear a mask when you go out in public?
Stay safe out there!








Comments
Brother Bob's facility love the masks you sent them.