May Post #27: Bishop's Castle

Our campsite last weekend was about 5 minutes from the site of Bishop's Castle.  This structure is quite well known in Colorado.  This castle has been in the works for 60 years.


A little of its history...Jim Bishop purchased this land in 1959 at the age of 15.  In 1969 Jim decided to start building a family cabin on the site.  His wife died a couple years back.  Many years ago their young son was killed nearby when a tree fell on him while Jim was harvesting timber for the structure.


People kept telling Jim his creation looked like a castle so he took that idea and ran with it.


He's been working on it ever since.  Above is the steepest set of stairs I've ever seen.


There is no entry fee to see the castle.  However, you do have to read a sign before entry that says you're responsible for your own safety, you understand the risks, it's an active worksite, you may be exposed to profanity, you may see anti-government signs that are allowed by the 1st amendment, blah, blah, blah.


Nothing is off limits, you can wonder around as much as you like.  All I have to say is watch out for the holes in the floor, the loose or missing handrails, the holes in the iron walkways, etc.


Some of the ironwork is actually very beautiful.


There are walkways around the outside and you can climb all the way to the top if you're so inclined.


Weddings can be held here.   You can purchase a stained glass window pane and have it personalized to support the construction.

Irv and I only went into the first and second levels.  We both came to the same conclusion...this place is a disaster waiting to happen.  I don't think there are any building codes here.  It looks like it has just been pieced together with few, if any, safety precautions.  I know Jim has had many run ins with the law.

Jim has to be 75 years old now.  Why has he spent 60 years on a place that will never be finished and he will never live in?  By the anti-government propaganda around the place I'd say he probably has a screw or two loose.

Am I glad I stopped for a look?  Yes, but one visit is enough for a lifetime.

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Interesting, he must be from Oklahoma.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!