May Post #29: Bullock's Oriole?


We haven't seen a hummingbird in weeks, but Irv faithfully refills the feeders each week in hopes they'll show up.


Yesterday we started getting visits by this guy...actually there are a few of them.  My first thought was that it is a Western Tanager, but the head isn't quite right.


A couple years ago I gave Irv this bird spotting book.  It's been on the shelf since the day after that Christmas so I've now claimed it a my own.  


Anyway, after scouring through the book we decide it is a Bullock's Oriole.


They can be found in the western Great Plains to the Pacific Coast.  They apparently like hanging out in treetops, along rivers, and lowland woods.  I assume they're just passing through our place.

Anybody out there know if we've correctly identified him?

I guess if we can't have hummingbirds we can at least enjoy this beauty.

Comments

polcat24 said…
The picture doesn't do it justice. The thing is pretty bright orange. Really beautiful.
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
So maybe he'll hang out in Irv's tree for a little bit.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!