May Post #6: Hummers, Yard Work, and Dead Things

Lots of things are getting done around the house while we're all in quarantine.  Irv has a new interest this summer--hummingbirds.  We've always had one feeder out during this summer, but this year we had four feeders and then...  


...yesterday we ventured into town and Irv purchased another feeder and a pole to hang three of the feeders on so now we're up to five hummingbird feeders.  He put the pole right outside our kitchen window so we can easily see the hundreds of hummingbirds that will soon be headed our way.  He's been very diligently changing the sugar water every week so that we don't accidentally kill a hummer.  This all started when Mary created her hummingbird station.  Being the competitive family we are, Irv took it at as a challenge to get more hummingbirds than her.


Yesterday our first hummer showed up!  I tried to grab my good camera with the zoom lens, but wouldn't you know it...the battery was dead.  I tried to zoom in the best I could with my iPhone, but it's still really hard to see.


While in town we also went to our big box home improvement store for some dirt and flowers.  I was about to trash this wagon that we bought for Mr. Beans when he was about two, but then I saw some pictures of wagons that had been turned into planters.  I'm taking a big risk planting flowers this early, I'm still expecting another snow storm.  I'm going to plant my veggie patch in the next day or two.  


Our main reason for going into town though was to drop off a load of yard waste at the local transfer station.  The county landfill is about seven miles from our house, but it's actually way cheaper to take everything to the transfer station in town. 


We had accumulated some pallets from when I used to make pallet signs, plus we had ever disposed of the pergola and barn pieces that had been destroyed during last year's snowapocalypse.  When you have 40 acres it's easy to stack this type of stuff up until you're ready to dispose of it.  


Then, when we went to park the trailer after returning home we found this.  Living in the country always has its surprises.


My first thought was that it was a young coyote, but after inspecting the teeth including canines and molars I think it's probably someone's small dog.  It was probably taken by a coyote.  Poor baby. 

What pandemic cleaning have you been doing?

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
You are so diligent in cleaning everything up the right way instead of dumping your trash into a wash on your property or ditch alongside the road.

We have three hummingbird feeders. One got visited several times the day that Heather put it up but no sign since.
Dana of Oz said…
Are you sure it’s not Zima??

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!