Ursus Arctos Horribilis and Equus Ferus Caballus

After several months of waiting, last week I was notified that I got one of the volunteer positions at the zoo.  I had to go get a TB test and a flu shot last week and on Saturday I went for another volunteer orientation where I was to learn what area I had been assigned to.

My first choice was the aquatics area--penguins, hippos, beavers, plus chickens and mountain goats (just because their enclosures are near the aquatics building).  I had already attached myself to the penguins and hippos, I couldn't wait to get to know them.

My second choice was the monkey house.  I also couldn't wait to meet these silly creatures.

But I also indicated that I would be willing to work anywhere I was most needed as long as it wasn't the reptile house.

Did I mention that on my volunteer application I included information on my horse experience including being a national champion hippology coach?

Well, where am I most needed?  With the ponies. 

Ponies?

I don't even like ponies.  I had a pony as a kid and at the age of seven I swore I would never subject my own kids to a pony and I never have.  When it comes to equines, the full size version is the best.  Much less head strong and stubborn.

Apparently they don't have a single pony volunteer.  Obviously that's where I'm the most needed so I will serve with a happy heart.

They did throw in a perk though.

This guy.  (I just happened to have a picture of him from earlier this summer.

 The grizzly.

He's soon to be my new best friend.  Lets forget the size of the claws and teeth.  (I think he wanted to eat that kid!)

I'm sure he's just sweet and cuddly.

I wonder what his name is.  I can't wait to meet him!  I wonder if he's looking forward to meeting me.

Grizzlies on Sunday mornings and ponies in the afternoon.  It will be about three weeks until I can start since they do a thorough background check.

What fun!

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Ponies are a pain, I remember that dang little horse. But ponies won't eat you!!

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!