Nutcracker Syndrome????

So here I am sharing personal stuff on the world wide web again.  I do this in hopes of helping someone else who might be going through the same stuff I've going through for 2 1/2 years.

The weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders today.  I just came back from seeing a vascular surgeon, Dr. C, who I have waited months to see.

He knew all about my case before he even walked into the room.  Dr. C told me that I was exceptional; but it's not always a good thing to be exceptional.

The diagnosis:  Nutcracker Syndrome with Left Vena Cava Variant

Has anybody ever heard of that syndrome before?  I haven't.  Apparently it's quite rare and more than likely the many doctors I've seen aren't familiar with it either. 

Basically, my Vena Cava is all screwed up and loops around my abdomen in places it shouldn't be.  It's normally on the right side, mine is on the left side and loops back over to the right side.  At the place it crosses back over, it causes a compression of the renal vein and pain in the area I have been complaining about since July 2011.  This explains why I've felt like I have had a kidney stone for the last 2 1/2 years.    Dr. C explained it as a dam that won't let the blood through so the blood can't get where it's going and pools in my lower veins. 

I Googled it as soon as I got back into the office.  I can go through the list of symptoms and check them off one by one.  One of the major side effects is fatigue.  Now I know why I'm so exhausted all the time.

The fix:  Surgery.  Not surgery here in Colorado Springs though or even at the University Hospital in Denver.  I'm going to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota to have surgery with the preeminent vascular surgeon in the United States.

Yes, it's a risky procedure, but if I have a choice between living with the level of pain I experience or taking a chance at a cure, I'll take my chances.

I need to thank my dear hubby who has stood beside me all this time.  I know that he and my family are tired of hearing how much pain I'm in.  I've tried not to talk about it too much even though it has nearly killed me at times.  To put a name and a cause to my pain is such a great feeling.

Most of all I need to thank God for putting Dr. Z in my life.  After my appendectomy in August I was referred back to Dr. Z because the surgeon noticed the size of my veins.  Dr. Z is an interventional radiologist that I have seen before.  Although there was nothing he could do to help me, he took me under his wing and found Dr. C for me.  He ordered tests and called me weekly to keep informed of what he and Dr. C had discussed.  Without Dr. Z things would still be hopeless.

It will be a couple weeks until I hear from the Mayo Clinic and I don't know how quickly things will move once I hear from them.  I've waited this long so another few weeks is no big deal.

Whew!






Comments

Brenda Hammer said…
So glad that you finally have some answers with solutions! Praying that you won't have to wait too much longer and that the surgery will be a success!!! Merry Christmas to you and Irv!
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
You have been through a lot. Hopefully you can get in the hospital soon.
Joyful said…
Oh wonderful, wonderful news for you. It is always such a relief to put a name to symptoms and more so to have a solution. I'm glad you've found a great surgeon. Please take care and convalesce afterward. Merry Christmas to you and your husband.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!