Snowy day at the zoo
Yesterday I went to the zoo for a volunteer information meeting. It was 4 degrees and snowing when I got there.
Have you ever been to the zoo when nobody was there? It was eerily peaceful and quiet. The only animals I saw on my walk up to the lodge were the ponies. They were in their corral with the cutest little blankets on.
Even the giraffe enclosure was empty. I learned that our zoo has the largest giraffe herd in the U.S. They transfer giraffes to other zoo. So, what does a giraffe trailer look like? How do they avoid going under bridges? Those are just a couple questions I'd like to know the answers to.
If it hadn't been so cold, and I had snow boots on, I would have enjoyed walking through the zoo to see if the grizzly bear or river otters were out enjoying the cold weather. But for today, the bronze animals will have to suffice.
There are 170 volunteer applicants for a handful of open adult volunteer positions at the zoo. I don't know if I'll make it in this year, but if not, I'll try again next year. Perseverance will eventually pay off.
Have you ever been to the zoo when nobody was there? It was eerily peaceful and quiet. The only animals I saw on my walk up to the lodge were the ponies. They were in their corral with the cutest little blankets on.
Even the giraffe enclosure was empty. I learned that our zoo has the largest giraffe herd in the U.S. They transfer giraffes to other zoo. So, what does a giraffe trailer look like? How do they avoid going under bridges? Those are just a couple questions I'd like to know the answers to.
I didn't come very well prepared for the walk up the mountain to the lodge. My boot choice was not very smart...luckily I didn't fall on my butt. This cold snap we're in has been hard on the zoo--they had 3 visitors on Thursday, 5 on Friday, but for the first night of the Electric Safari they had 50 visitors which seems quite amazing to me because it was well below zero. I hope to make it to the Electric Safari next weekend.
There are 170 volunteer applicants for a handful of open adult volunteer positions at the zoo. I don't know if I'll make it in this year, but if not, I'll try again next year. Perseverance will eventually pay off.
Comments
Beautiful scenes of the zoo. You are braver than I am.