CSU Bowling!

Wow!  What a weekend!

We drove down to Albuquerque for the Gildan New Mexico Bowl.  CSU Rams vs. WSU Cougars.

I have to say after the first five minutes of the game I was thinking this is going to be really bad--the Rams are going to be wiped out.


The game was at Lobo Field at the University of New Mexico.  This is a special place because my mother and both my brothers graduated from UNM.  I had been to this stadium a couple times as a kid.  When I was in about the 6th grade I was a Camp Fire Girl and we were asked to come hold one of those gigantic flags that covers the entire field during halftime.  It was fun.  Back then there were no press boxes so the stadium had changed tremendously since I was last there.


Jillian got us fantastic seats in the 6th row on the 50 yard line.  It almost felt like we were sitting with the team.


I wanted to count all the players.  It seemed like there must have been 100 or more on each team.


I will admit it was a little chilly.  Even the cheerleaders had their sweats on.  I have one question about cheerleaders...why do grown women wear those bows in their hair?  I don't understand it--it must be a cheerleader thing.


The Rams were losing the entire game, but we still had fun.  We were a little bummed out about the food situation.  During the second quarter we went up to get some lunch because Mr. Beans was hungry and they were already out of pizza, hot dogs, Frito pie, etc.  We ended up getting pretzels and had to wait quite a while for those to be ready.  The concessions could definitely have been better prepared. 

The halftime show was terrific.


The Suicide Trombones performed before the game started.  I was hoping to see them again at halftime, but no such luck.  They are fantastic!



During the second half the wind picked up a little bit and it got pretty cold, but we hung in there.  I knitted Jillian and myself some CSU sashay ruffle scarves for the game.  I think I could have sold a bunch of them, we got lots of compliments.  Next year I'll be better prepared.  The good thing about the scarves are that they double as Green Bay Packer scarves which is good because Jillian and Brian are Packer fans.



I think Cam the Ram got a little cold too.


With just a few minutes left in the game the Rams were down by 15 points.  About this time the Cougar fans started to leave, including those who were sitting in front of us.  Somehow they ended up right in the middle of the Rams section. 

After the Rams scored to tie the game we all expected overtime--but it wasn't to be.  On the kickoff, the receiver for the Cougars fumbled the ball and CSU recovered it.  It set them up perfectly to kick a field goal to win the game in the last 4 seconds of the game.

Talk about exciting...the CSU fans went crazy and took over the field, including Mr. Beans and his pappy.  The CSU players were super cool...Mr. Beans got to shake some of their hands and they were thanking the fans for coming to watch.


I'm so excited for those kids...what a great end to their season!




I will admit I felt a wee bit bad for the Cougars and their fans, especially that kid who fumbled the ball.  For all the Cougar fans who left early, I wonder how they felt when they got back to their cars and learned the game had completely turned around.


Way to go Rams!




Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
I'm not really a college football fan but it really was an exciting game. CSU took advantage of the breaks they got.

It looked pretty cold there and the stands looked sparse from the tv. Good for you for sticking it out.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!