A celebrity in the family
My dad is famous. At least to me he is.
When we visited him last month we visited "his" museum. It's actually named The Museum of Idaho, but I think of it as Dad's museum. He was a volunteer there for many years, he even managed the construction of the best exhibit in the museum--Eagle Rock USA. We celebrated his 80th birthday there a couple years ago.
But we aren't going to blog about the museum or Eagle Rock today. Since this is Veteran's weekend I'm going to blog about my dad's service to our country.
Dad's museum currently has an exhibit on World War II which is top notch. After viewing all the exhibits on the 1st floor we ventured upstairs and my dad led us to a case that was all about him.
He's kept photos and letters and all kinds of mementos from that experience plus he has lots of stories.
When we visited him last month we visited "his" museum. It's actually named The Museum of Idaho, but I think of it as Dad's museum. He was a volunteer there for many years, he even managed the construction of the best exhibit in the museum--Eagle Rock USA. We celebrated his 80th birthday there a couple years ago.
But we aren't going to blog about the museum or Eagle Rock today. Since this is Veteran's weekend I'm going to blog about my dad's service to our country.
Wow!
He never said anything about being a local celebrity.
My dad served as a MP in the US Army at the war crimes trials in Japan after the end of the war.
He told us all about the photos and also mentioned that we kids had been kind of hard on his album from Japan when we were young.
(Sorry Dad--I'm sure it was my brothers who messed with your stuff, it couldn't have been me!)
He even has his uniform from back then...was my dad ever really that skinny?
I wish I were a sponge so I could just absorb all the stories my dad has to tell.
So much history that I want my girls to know about their grandfather.
Even at my age, I'm still learning from my Dad.
Just wait until I share the pictures of Eagle Rock with you.
Comments
Yeah we were pretty hard on his photo albums.