A great day despite...
So this weekend I learned what a pain in the butt it can be to have a career in Information Technology. Now, I want to make it perfectly clear that I have no problem going into work on the weekend if there's an IT emergency, but if it's not an emergency then things can wait until Monday. I have a boss who lives to work, she doesn't believe in annual leave, she fights against flex time in the summer, and she never allows any of her staff to take comp time. I, on the other hand, work to live. Let's just say that I was a very unhappy camper this weekend who ended going into work on Saturday night and spending half a day at work on Sunday. Did y'all know that IT professionals don't receive overtime pay or compensation time? It's some kind of loophole in the law that exempts IT professionals. To me that basically means that any extra time I put in is a donation to the company. Now, if I were paid what the typical system admin is, I wouldn't complain, but I'm not. Do you think it's too late for a career change? President Obama is trying to change this loophole so that we can be compensated for our overtime. All I have to say is Thank you President Obama!
Enough whining about having to work this weekend. When I got home this afternoon I hid my cell phone and went outside to work in the yard. There isn't anything that makes me happier than being outside in the sun on a beautiful Colorado day.
My garden got planted a couple weeks ago and things are already starting to sprout. Unfortunately, some kind of critter thinks my raised beds make a good home. Not to mention a dog who thinks they're quite comfy.
Do you see these fantastic garden markers? Sometimes you have a good friend who makes you the most special gifts. My friend Vicki in Wisconsin is a wonderfully talented artisan who makes her own glass art and she made me these for Christmas. I must admit that I was slight afraid to put them outside because I don't want to take a chance that something might break them, but that's what they're for. I absolutely love them!
Lately I've been wondering why I bother planting a garden when I get a basket like this from Bountiful Baskets every week.
I have pots of yellow and purple petunias on the deck this year along with an herb garden. I'm surprised the geese haven't eaten the herbs yet.
My darling husband converted our fire pit from wood to propane this weekend so now I can just go outside and light it up in seconds anytime I feel like enjoying a fire.
I love my fire pit and the fountain. Such a relaxing oasis!
My wonderful in-laws gave me this azalea after my visit to the Mayo Clinic in February. Don't ask me how, but I managed to keep it alive since then which wasn't an easy task. Today I planted it outside. I don't expect it to survive because this is typically a deep south type of plant, but I'm going to try my darnedest.
How was your weekend?
Enough whining about having to work this weekend. When I got home this afternoon I hid my cell phone and went outside to work in the yard. There isn't anything that makes me happier than being outside in the sun on a beautiful Colorado day.
Lately I've been wondering why I bother planting a garden when I get a basket like this from Bountiful Baskets every week.
I have pots of yellow and purple petunias on the deck this year along with an herb garden. I'm surprised the geese haven't eaten the herbs yet.
My darling husband converted our fire pit from wood to propane this weekend so now I can just go outside and light it up in seconds anytime I feel like enjoying a fire.
I love my fire pit and the fountain. Such a relaxing oasis!
My wonderful in-laws gave me this azalea after my visit to the Mayo Clinic in February. Don't ask me how, but I managed to keep it alive since then which wasn't an easy task. Today I planted it outside. I don't expect it to survive because this is typically a deep south type of plant, but I'm going to try my darnedest.
I also planted some foxglove in the backyard. If the geese choose to eat these we may have roasted goose for dinner next week.
While we were out working in the backyard today our little Sophie found her way outside through the dog door. Oh great...how long is she likely to survive now?
After a while I heard a commotion on the side of the house and guess what I found...little Sophie had been caught in the live trap.
Silly kitten! Why do we have a live trap you may be asking. You see, I don't allow Irv to shoot the rabbits in our yard so he catches them and drives them down the road to release them. (Except when I get to the trap first...I turn them loose back in the yard. After all, we moved into their territory, not vice versa.)
I guess Super Kitten found out she's not totally invincible!
So what started out as a not so fun day ended up being fantastic thanks to the sunshine, fresh air, and funny kittens that God has put in my life. Not to mention sweet puppies and wonderful husbands.
Comments
Great garden, silly cat, I hope she doesn't end up being coyote bait since she has figured out the dog door.
Burn that propane sis!