What to take with me?

So, tomorrow is the big day that I've been not wanting to think about--ERCP with Manometry and Sphincterotomy at the University Hospital in Denver.

Scared.

Nervous.

Not sure.

That's what I'm feeling today.  The only people that really know how scared I am are Jillian, a co-worker, and Irv.  This procedure has some not so pleasant possible complications that I would prefer to avoid.

I "get" to stay in the hospital overnight after the procedure so I've been putting together the things I need for 24 hours in the hospital.  Some people might go with nothing.  Not me, life in a hospital is not fun and sleep is impossible so there are some necessities to pass the time away and feel as good as possible.

The basic necessities include a robe, yoga pants, socks, glasses, insurance cards, and photo ID all stuffed inside a Disney World bag that brings back wonderful memories. 
 
I've also include two books. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen and a junk novel just in case I don't feel like doing any serious reading.
A hat is a necessity because there's no telling what the hair will look like and it will more than likely need to be hidden.
.
There's a basic set of toiletries.  Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, body spray, lotion, Vaseline for the lips, dry hair shampoo, and some real shampoo in case there's a real shower offered.
 
I've been told not to show up with any makeup or jewelry on. That's really scary and makes me highly uncomfortable.

My "I" products - iPhone, iPod, and iPad.  Okay, maybe I don't need all three.  I'll have to choose just one.  (Separation anxiety is already coming on.)
Fuzzy blanket from my favorite mother-in-law.  Yes, I know the hospital provides blankets, even warm blankets, but none of them make me as comfortable as this blanket.  I'm not sure they'll let me bring it in though.  What do you think?
Comfort dogs.  No further explanation needed.
Camera (not pictured).  I'm not sure how much of this process I will capture in photos, but there will be some.  You see, I know what it's like to search the Internet for information on my condition and this procedure.  I was very grateful to find blogs from real people who wrote about their experience.  I want to do the same for people who might be searching for information.
 
A most important necessity is my dear hubby. I couldn't do this without him.  He's the unlucky one who has to sit around in the waiting room.  Hopefully my room will have a comfy chair for him to sit in.  Although I've already been warned that the hospital has been operating at capacity and they may have to stick me in a corner somewhere.  Just kidding, they promised to at least store me in a curtained off area, not the corner. 
Then, there's the bag for night two.  Since I don't live in Denver I have to stay in a hotel near the hospital on Tuesday night.  Complications normally set in within 48 hours of the procedure and they don't want me two hours from the hospital if pancreatitis decides to make an appearance.
 
This bag gets to contain my makeup, hair dryer, and flat iron. The stuff I need in my everyday life.
Of course, the ONE thing I must take to the hospital is FAITH.  Faith that God has put me safely in Dr. S's hands.  Faith that this procedure will fix what is causing my pain.  Faith that everything will go as planned and I'll be complication-free and home on Wednesday.  Faith that my prayers and the prayers that my family and friends are offering on my behalf will be heard.  I truly believe in the power of believers who pray together--"Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven."  Matthew 18:19
 
Since I will have at least one of my electronic devices with me, there may be an updated blog during my hospital stay.  My plan is to feel good enough to do that.  I'm a strong believer in envisioning what you want to come true.  My vision is that I will feel good, maybe not great, tomorrow after the procedure and I'll be bored, reading books, and writing a blog.
 
Keep your fingers crossed! 

Comments

Sweetie said…
Will be praying for the procedure to go smoothly & for a positive outcome. I know this has to be very scary.
skiples01 said…
I always think if your optomistic
things will come in your favor. That and a lot of faith is what dad and I know are going to pull you through. You have our prayers, Ellen.
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
You are on the prayer list Ellen. I hope everything went well.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!