Field Trip

About a year and a half ago the company I work for formed a relationship with Goodwill Industries.  We were in the process of converting all of our paper files to electronic files and Good will had a document imaging service.

Over a million scans later we were invited to come tour Discover Goodwill.  We thought we were just going to see the scanning program and meet the guys who worked on our files.

Little did I know that I would walk away with my heart and emotions deeply touched.


You see, Goodwill does so much more than the retail stores that you see.  They help people--people who have some type of life challenge. 








Here in Colorado Springs they have a facility that is the only one like it in the nation.  They have a program called "Voyages" which is an adult day care for mostly senior citizens whose caregivers need a day off now and then.  They also provide home care for seniors who aren't physically able to get to the center.







Another program in the facility is called "Possibilities".  It's a whole village with a general store, bank, city hall, apartment, spa, community center, etc. where people with physical or mental challenges learn how to be self-sufficient. 

For example, the apartment has not one, but three different kitchens in it so that they people can learn how to use different types of appliances, washing machines, microwaves, etc.  The bank teaches them how to save their money, they have an elected mayor, Laura, who came out to greet us.  The spa provides them with an environment where they can relax and unwind.  There's an art studio where they create beautiful and unique art of all types.  The fitness center provides keeps them in shape and lets them work on their coordination.  They teach them social skills and appropriate behavior so they can better function in society.  I could go on and on.  I was so unbelievable impressed and truly touched.

They also work on math skills, speaking skills, and have an ag program with veggie gardens.

"Pursuits" is another program for young people who are getting out of high school and have some type of challenge such as autism.  It teaches them personal skills, relationship skills, work skills, and helps them find a career path so they'll be successful in society.  It was amazing.

We got to meet the two guys who have done our scanning.  They were so professional and welcomed us.  We learned how much they love their jobs.

We then went to their laundry facility.  I had no idea this even existed.  They do the laundry for hospitals between here and Cheyenne.  They do all the laundry for the Air Force Academy and Ft. Carson plus several hotels and restaurants.  The washing machines and dryers were massive.  They process 165 lbs. of laundry every three minutes.  Most importantly, they provide employment for people who are otherwise unemployable.

Maybe you can tell I was impressed.  I never knew all that Goodwill did. 

As I was leaving all I could think was how lucky those people are to have this facility in Colorado Springs.  The people who work there are so dedicated to the mission of Goodwill.  I think they are so lucky to have jobs that truly make an impact in life.

I will forever be a supporter of Goodwill.  It was a truly fascinating field trip.



Comments

polcat24 said…
I am soo disappointed, I wanted to go on the tour with them but wasn't invited. :(
skiples01 said…






As far as I know, Albuquerque only employs people with disabilities.
I heard that they fix furniture and other things to make it usable.
I have always supported goodwill.








as far as I know, Albuquerque
Sweetie said…
Wish we had something like that here. Goodwill is going to partner with Logan's school to do a work adjustment program. I am hoping it will develop into something that will be helpful for the high functioning kids transitioning to adulthood. Several programs exist for young adults who are lower functioning. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!