Stock Show and 4-H

This past week is one of my favorite weeks of the year.  Why?  Because of the National Western Stock Show and the 4-H Western Roundup in Denver.

A few years ago I was asked to come up and tabulate the horse judging contest.  This is one of my few "volunteer" activities that I actually get paid for.  I always argue about accepting the payment, but they keep reminding me that it's a national contest and a lot more work than a county or state contest. 

I had to drive up to Denver after work on Thursday.  I don't have any pictures of it, but the first half of the trip was in blizzard conditions.  At one point I just wanted to cry and turn the car around and go home, but I knew I couldn't do that so I kept going.  Luckily, it cleared up and conditions improved for the second half of the trip.

 
It snowed throughout the night and the next morning there were winter driving conditions again.  This time it was stop and go so I took a quick pic.  I didn't have to head over to the arena until 8:30 so by that time the roads were more slush than snow pack.


The contest got started around 10:00.  Lots of people hauled in horses in the winter driving conditions which is very brave (or stupid) as far as I'm concerned.

 
I spend my time on the computer inputting "placings" so I don't get to watch a whole lot of the contest.  Every now and then though I took a minute to place the classes myself.

 
They had some fantastic Arab classes.  I had to leave early to head back to the hotel to generate the reasons order and help set up the reasons room.  As I was leaving I encountered the Percheron class in the holding area.  They are from the Priefert Hitch and are gorgeous.  Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to snap a pic.

 
Here's my tabulating office at the hotel.  Yes, even here I surround myself with multiple computers.  I am one of the few people who knows the winner of this contest until the Sunday morning awards breakfast.


I was going to have dinner with a former YL co-worker before heading home, but because of the weather I decided to head home right after I was done.  The roads were in much better condition than I expected, at least until I got back to Colorado Springs.  The city roads in the northern end of the city and out east by our place were snow packed and icy, but I made it.  I thought it was funny that I encountered these two snowplows who were plowing the clear city streets--sparks and all as their blades contacted the pavement.  I'll never understand the thought process behind plowing clear streets while other main city streets are snow packed.

Another national contest is done until next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!