Some Salt Lake City History
While on our way from Christmas vacation we stopped in Salt Lake City and went down to the Temple Square. As I've previously posted, it was amazingly beautiful. It was also amazingly cold. Like so cold that my fingers and face were frozen even though I had ten layers on.
When we were done looking at the Temple I wanted to snap a couple shots of the Beehive House which was the home of Brigham Young and his family. Mr. Young was the leader of the LDS Church, Governor of Utah, and Mormons consider him to be a prophet of the Church.
Having recently read The 19th Wife, I wanted to see it for myself. I don't want to degrade the Mormon religion, but lets just say lots of wives and children lived in the Beehive House. The basement apparently has a kitchen and dining room that can accommodate 70 people. I was surprised to see that they were offering tours of the home until 8:30 that evening.
Heck yes, I want to go in and take a tour. No only was it warm, but what better way to experience some of the history? Our tour guides were two beautiful young missionary women, one from Florida and the other from Italy. They carried their book of Mormon with them and did a great job of evangelizing, but were not overbearing in their attempts to convert us. I was respectful and didn't even ask if I could take pictures inside. We were asked to be mindful that the religion considers this house sacred ground since prophets lived there and I wanted to respect that. I appreciated the tour and learned a lot. The religion isn't what I believe, but Mormons are good people and if they're happy in their beliefs, I have nothing against it.
The Lion House adjacent to the Beehive House was also a residence of Brigham Young's, an overflow home for his growing family as I understand. Both buildings have been restored and are in great shape considering they were built in the mid-1850s. The Lion's House now serves as a restaurant. If I ever go back there I'm going to stop in for a bite.
Downtown Salt Lake City was quite a surprise. Clean and well taken care of with lots of restaurants, brew pubs, bars, convention center, and lite rail system. I think hosting the Olympics there did a lot of good for the city.
What history have you learned lately?
Comments