A day at the Stock Show
Irv and I ventured up to the National Western Stock Show in Denver yesterday. We met one of my former co-workers from YL, Scott. It seems likes about two million other people thought yesterday would be a great day for the Stock Show. It was so crowded we could hardly move and we certainly couldn't wander through and look at things like we would have liked to.
We did wander through the stalls and look at some farm animals that were getting ready for the show ring.
I know nothing about showing cattle, but I have bathed a horse or two in my lifetime.
I think the cattle take way more work, but then there's a lot of money on the line for a winning steer, bull, heifer, etc. at the stock show.
With horses we're just used to paying money. The idea of actually winning some money is totally foreign.
These ladies looked quite comfortable.
This guy doesn't look so comfortable.
The life of a pampered show animal.
We stopped and watched a couple classes of heifers in the show ring. A guy standing beside us said that one of the heifers had been purchased as a calf for $100,000.
What?
That's crazy!
Jillian and Brian met us there for the rodeo which was pretty good. It moved pretty slowly at times. If you've ever been to the NFR you know how they keep it moving because it's televised.
I like that much better than sitting there waiting and waiting.
The bucking stock was really good for the most part.
The catch-a-calf is always fun to watch.
Of course I'm there to see the horses. I love the percheron hitch, although I'd like to know what happened to the Preifert hitch, I'm used to seeing it every year at the Stock Show.
We did manage to pose for one photo although Jillian almost got run over by the people behind her when she stopped to take this photo.
People everywhere!
Even people who are willing to pay to stick their feet in this muck. Gross!
We saw this in Vegas too. It's supposed to remove toxins from the body. It makes me sick to even look at it!
People are even willing to pay to ride a steer. Oh my!
We got to see this guy up close and personal. Beautiful!
So can I say it was a fun day at the Stock Show? No probably not. Too many people! It's been a couple years since we've gone to Stock Show and I certainly don't remember it ever being so crowded.
It was fun hanging out with the family and Scott though.
We did wander through the stalls and look at some farm animals that were getting ready for the show ring.
I know nothing about showing cattle, but I have bathed a horse or two in my lifetime.
I think the cattle take way more work, but then there's a lot of money on the line for a winning steer, bull, heifer, etc. at the stock show.
With horses we're just used to paying money. The idea of actually winning some money is totally foreign.
These ladies looked quite comfortable.
This guy doesn't look so comfortable.
The life of a pampered show animal.
We stopped and watched a couple classes of heifers in the show ring. A guy standing beside us said that one of the heifers had been purchased as a calf for $100,000.
What?
That's crazy!
Jillian and Brian met us there for the rodeo which was pretty good. It moved pretty slowly at times. If you've ever been to the NFR you know how they keep it moving because it's televised.
I like that much better than sitting there waiting and waiting.
The bucking stock was really good for the most part.
The catch-a-calf is always fun to watch.
Of course I'm there to see the horses. I love the percheron hitch, although I'd like to know what happened to the Preifert hitch, I'm used to seeing it every year at the Stock Show.
We did manage to pose for one photo although Jillian almost got run over by the people behind her when she stopped to take this photo.
People everywhere!
Even people who are willing to pay to stick their feet in this muck. Gross!
We saw this in Vegas too. It's supposed to remove toxins from the body. It makes me sick to even look at it!
People are even willing to pay to ride a steer. Oh my!
We got to see this guy up close and personal. Beautiful!
So can I say it was a fun day at the Stock Show? No probably not. Too many people! It's been a couple years since we've gone to Stock Show and I certainly don't remember it ever being so crowded.
It was fun hanging out with the family and Scott though.
Comments
I like going to the State Fair here through the animal barns. Lots of critters and hardly any people. I doubt they have $100K critters though.
Logan has never been to a rodeo. Poor kid. Well we went to a PBR event. But those are over the top.