Grillin' at Mary's

Mary invited us over for a barbecue last weekend.  She made burgers, hot dogs, chicken, baked beans, mac and cheese, potato salad.  Yum!  I can't tell you how nice it was to have one of my daughters prepare a meal for us. 

If there's one area that I failed it as a mother, it was teaching my girls to cook. When the family was still at home I used to cook meals every day.  I think I'm a fairly good cook, but I have since semi-retired now that it's only Irv and I at home.  It's much easier to just stop and get something when it's the two of us.  Anyway, by not forcing the girls to learn to cook, I've left them in a bad position.  You see, I didn't want them to grow up thinking they had to become housewives and mothers.  I wanted the whole world to be at their doorstep.  Now that Jillian is married she's showing an interest in cooking.  She's asked me to start writing down some of the recipes that are in my head (a nice compliment).  Mary does some cooking with Mr. Beans, but nothing to elaborate I think.  Dana, well she's good at choosing restaurants or ordering take out.


After dinner we had a re-match of Cranium.  The last time we played it was a tie so we had to have a play off.  Mary is my teammate and unfortunately for her, I drank one to many Bahama Mamas and couldn't do my part for the team.  Congrats to Irv and Jillian on their championship.  Brian was our official moderator.


Notice the lovely new chair covers on Mary's outdoor furniture.


Even Diesel got to come.  It was fun family game night. Thanks Mary for such a fun evening!

Comments

Dana of Oz said…
Ok, I think you have a misunderstanding about my cooking abilities. I can cook just fine - I just don't like to cook. And I bake like a champ. I made some really fantastic cookies and cream cupcakes just last week. \

You did a fine job - we just realize that we can leave the cooking to someone at a restuarant so we can enjoy more time with our family and friends. :)
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Dana can cook? Wow, who'd of thought.
Ellen said…
Hmmm...Dana, I'll have to take your word for it unless you prove it next time you're here. I'm beginning to feel like a little less of a failure. ;)
Dana of Oz said…
Alright, over Christmas, I will make my chicken and black bean casserole and the cup cakes for you!

And if you want proof - call Adam, he'll tell you I've been cooking for him alot lately!

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!