Snow Day!!
I've done it again...I have neglected my blogging duties. Last week I was swamped at work plus I was sick, but I'm feeling better now so I need to get back on track.
Late last week they started predicting the "snowpacolyse" for early this week. What's the first thing you do when snow is in the forecast?
You go to the grocery store to stock upon the essentials. Most people think they need to stock up on milk and bread. Here's my cart with the essentials...water, shrimp, pasta and some greens. I don't drink milk and I eat very little sliced bread. When you're preparing for a half marathon, carbs and protein are what's important.
This morning I was expecting to wake up to a blizzard. All the area schools were cancelled on Sunday night along with a lot of the local businesses and government offices. Something big was on the way. I waited and waited for the call from my boss this morning saying we were delayed, but it never came.
I carefully made my way into work only to find that only a handful of us were there. Apparently, the rest of my building got a message about a delayed start and well, my boss didn't think that was necessary. The motto of our team is "work until you die".
About 11:15 the snow was coming down like crazy so I decided to send my employee home then I escaped myself even though someone suggested that I should stay because I have all wheel drive and would be fine to leave later. Folks, all wheel or 4 wheel drive doesn't make you invincible especially if the wind is blowing, the roads haven't been plowed, and visibility is almost zero. I was glad I made the decision to leave when I did. It was a horrific drive home.
So what does one do with an unexpected snow day? Well, I still did some work. I have the ability to work from home and I got lots of calls from others who went home to work and were having problems connecting remotely.
Irv decided we needed a cake so he made an angel cake that grew so big that I thought it would explode.
I've been making Irv eat healthy for the last while--whole grain pastas and stuff that I know he dislikes, so I decided to fry up some chicken. A little treat for him. I will pull off the breading, skin and just try to eat the chicken. Irv will eat skin and all.
I also watched Angela's Ashes. It is one of my favorite movies, or at least it used to be when I thought I was of Irish descent (more on that later).
So the snow is coming down now harder than ever--we'll see what tonight brings.
What do you do on a snow day?
Late last week they started predicting the "snowpacolyse" for early this week. What's the first thing you do when snow is in the forecast?
You go to the grocery store to stock upon the essentials. Most people think they need to stock up on milk and bread. Here's my cart with the essentials...water, shrimp, pasta and some greens. I don't drink milk and I eat very little sliced bread. When you're preparing for a half marathon, carbs and protein are what's important.
This morning I was expecting to wake up to a blizzard. All the area schools were cancelled on Sunday night along with a lot of the local businesses and government offices. Something big was on the way. I waited and waited for the call from my boss this morning saying we were delayed, but it never came.
I carefully made my way into work only to find that only a handful of us were there. Apparently, the rest of my building got a message about a delayed start and well, my boss didn't think that was necessary. The motto of our team is "work until you die".
About 11:15 the snow was coming down like crazy so I decided to send my employee home then I escaped myself even though someone suggested that I should stay because I have all wheel drive and would be fine to leave later. Folks, all wheel or 4 wheel drive doesn't make you invincible especially if the wind is blowing, the roads haven't been plowed, and visibility is almost zero. I was glad I made the decision to leave when I did. It was a horrific drive home.
So what does one do with an unexpected snow day? Well, I still did some work. I have the ability to work from home and I got lots of calls from others who went home to work and were having problems connecting remotely.
Irv decided we needed a cake so he made an angel cake that grew so big that I thought it would explode.
I've been making Irv eat healthy for the last while--whole grain pastas and stuff that I know he dislikes, so I decided to fry up some chicken. A little treat for him. I will pull off the breading, skin and just try to eat the chicken. Irv will eat skin and all.
I also watched Angela's Ashes. It is one of my favorite movies, or at least it used to be when I thought I was of Irish descent (more on that later).
So the snow is coming down now harder than ever--we'll see what tonight brings.
What do you do on a snow day?

Comments
Irv and the cake. It looks great to me.!