A long, long time ago...
After getting my DNA results last week I decided to try and ancestry.com membership. It's one of the best things I have ever done.
After entering my name and my parent's name, Ancestry starting giving me hints. I've spent about two hours a night digging deeper and deeper into my lineage.
The path hasn't gone very far on my mother's side, but on my dad's side I've gotten back to 1655. One thing I was very thrilled to have found is my 7th great-grandmother, Ellen Jensen. She of course got my attention because of her name.
Ellen was born in 1716 in Viborg, Denmark. She was the daughter of Jens and Mette Jenson. I think she had about 13 brothers and sisters. Jens is a very common name in this Danish family.
Ellen married Knud Sorsen when she was 22 and then she married Knud Jensen when she was 27. I don't know what happened to the first Knud. Ellen and the second Knud had seven children. I haven't found all their names yet, but two sons, Poul and Jens, were born in Norway. Poul was my sixth great-grandfather.
The more I dig, the more hints Ancestry throws at me. I don't know how much further I can go, but we'll see. I also received an email from a stranger that the DNA suggested me as a fourth cousin. He asked me to watch for some names in my family tree to see if we could be a match.
I know you don't want to hear about my whole family line, but I find this to be so interesting. Ellen was born 300 years ago and now I'm just learning about her. What was she like? What did she look like? What were her struggles? What were her joys?
In 300 years will I have great-great-great... grandchildren wondering about me? Ancestry.com is one amazing website, the membership fee was worth every penny.
After entering my name and my parent's name, Ancestry starting giving me hints. I've spent about two hours a night digging deeper and deeper into my lineage.
The path hasn't gone very far on my mother's side, but on my dad's side I've gotten back to 1655. One thing I was very thrilled to have found is my 7th great-grandmother, Ellen Jensen. She of course got my attention because of her name.
Ellen was born in 1716 in Viborg, Denmark. She was the daughter of Jens and Mette Jenson. I think she had about 13 brothers and sisters. Jens is a very common name in this Danish family.
Ellen married Knud Sorsen when she was 22 and then she married Knud Jensen when she was 27. I don't know what happened to the first Knud. Ellen and the second Knud had seven children. I haven't found all their names yet, but two sons, Poul and Jens, were born in Norway. Poul was my sixth great-grandfather.
The more I dig, the more hints Ancestry throws at me. I don't know how much further I can go, but we'll see. I also received an email from a stranger that the DNA suggested me as a fourth cousin. He asked me to watch for some names in my family tree to see if we could be a match.
I know you don't want to hear about my whole family line, but I find this to be so interesting. Ellen was born 300 years ago and now I'm just learning about her. What was she like? What did she look like? What were her struggles? What were her joys?
In 300 years will I have great-great-great... grandchildren wondering about me? Ancestry.com is one amazing website, the membership fee was worth every penny.

Comments