Through the eyes of a 10 year old
During our recent trip to California I took pictures with my new Nikon while Mr. Beans took control of our point and shoot Olympus camera.
He had complete control of the camera and it kept him very entertained. Irv and I found it very interesting to see what he took pictures of.
We spent quite a bit of time in the car. He kept himself occupied.
Our rental car was brand new, we were the first to rent it. It was a Ford Taurus and we really liked it.
Getting a brand new rental car happened to us once before--in Australia. They unloaded a brand new car for us at the Cairns airport. We suggested this wasn't such a good idea since Irv had never driven on the "wrong" side of the road before. We purchased extra insurance and took it on our first week of Australian adventures and returned it in perfect condition.
We had Gertrude, our GPS, with us. I guess Mr. Beans thought it would make a good photo.
How did we ever get around unfamiliar areas before the Garmin came along?
Mr. Beans loves breakfast. He and Grammy like extra crispy, almost burned bacon. His favorite places will cook it for him like that. We like IHOP and in California they print the calories on the menu. It helps me make good choices, I can't say the same for Irv.
He wanted to bring his mom a pearl, but didn't have quite enough money. A picture will have to do.
Mr. Beans made his first souvenir purchase at Sea World--a $10 bubble gun.
Souvenir shops are another favorite of Mr. Beans. This is a great picture!
We stood in line for about 45 minutes to ride this coaster. Lego Land is for kids and their rides are made for kids (and Grammys who don't like coasters either).
Miniland was a favorite place at Lego Land. Mr. Beans took tons of pictures, but he went to extra effort to get down on the ground and take this shot.
I-5 goes right through Camp Pendelton. Mr. Beans enjoyed the tanks, helicopters, and marines that were out every day.
I think Mr. Beans enjoyed all the colors as much as I did.
Spooky!
This guy was on the other side of the glass and loved the kids. Those eyes just make me want to hold him.
The bug house at the San Diego Zoo was a favorite for Mr. Beans. He spent a lot of time looking at the ant farm and the bee hive. They had lots of cockroaches too.
I'm screamin inside!
I didn't notice this water tower so I can't say exactly where he saw it.
Pretty cool real green army men from Toy Story, I think.
We had dinner at the Rain Forest Cafe one night and chose to sit on the patio since it was a two hour wait for an inside table. They had heaters on the patio so it wasn't too cold. Mr. Beans was intrigued by them. It started raining right as we finished our meal.
Disney has brought back Captain EO, a 3-D film starring Michael Jackson that was originally done in 1983. The girls and I used to make yearly trips to Disney World where we saw this film. It was fun to see it again.
Maybe Mr. Beans has a green thumb. Irv is putting in raised beds so I can have a garden this year. Maybe Mr. Beans will get a little space for his own garden so he can raise his own flowers.
There was even an occasional shot of Grammy and Pappy.
Mr. Beans took about 300 pictures during our trip. I need to get those printed for him. The next time you're on a trip with a 10 year old, give him a camera. It's amazing what they take pictures of.
When I was a kid we had cameras with film and flash bulbs. Remember those? It wouldn't have been possible to take hundreds of shots just for the fun of it.
Kids are great!
| Helicopter (taken from the car) |
He had complete control of the camera and it kept him very entertained. Irv and I found it very interesting to see what he took pictures of.
| Self Portrait (in the car again) |
We spent quite a bit of time in the car. He kept himself occupied.
Our rental car was brand new, we were the first to rent it. It was a Ford Taurus and we really liked it.
Getting a brand new rental car happened to us once before--in Australia. They unloaded a brand new car for us at the Cairns airport. We suggested this wasn't such a good idea since Irv had never driven on the "wrong" side of the road before. We purchased extra insurance and took it on our first week of Australian adventures and returned it in perfect condition.
| GPS (notice the rain) |
We had Gertrude, our GPS, with us. I guess Mr. Beans thought it would make a good photo.
How did we ever get around unfamiliar areas before the Garmin came along?
| Mr. Beans' favorite place after Lego Land |
Mr. Beans loves breakfast. He and Grammy like extra crispy, almost burned bacon. His favorite places will cook it for him like that. We like IHOP and in California they print the calories on the menu. It helps me make good choices, I can't say the same for Irv.
| Pearl booth at Sea World |
He wanted to bring his mom a pearl, but didn't have quite enough money. A picture will have to do.
| Vendor selling bubble guns |
| Great shot of lollipops |
Souvenir shops are another favorite of Mr. Beans. This is a great picture!
| Underneath roller coaster at Lego Land |
We stood in line for about 45 minutes to ride this coaster. Lego Land is for kids and their rides are made for kids (and Grammys who don't like coasters either).
| Subway underneath NYC in miniland |
Miniland was a favorite place at Lego Land. Mr. Beans took tons of pictures, but he went to extra effort to get down on the ground and take this shot.
| Another helicopter |
I-5 goes right through Camp Pendelton. Mr. Beans enjoyed the tanks, helicopters, and marines that were out every day.
| One of several flower shots |
I think Mr. Beans enjoyed all the colors as much as I did.
| Spider Web |
Spooky!
| Mr. Beans' new friend |
This guy was on the other side of the glass and loved the kids. Those eyes just make me want to hold him.
| Another flower |
| Bee Hive |
The bug house at the San Diego Zoo was a favorite for Mr. Beans. He spent a lot of time looking at the ant farm and the bee hive. They had lots of cockroaches too.
| Snake Skeleton |
I'm screamin inside!
| California Adventure |
I didn't notice this water tower so I can't say exactly where he saw it.
| Green Army Men |
Pretty cool real green army men from Toy Story, I think.
| Heater on the Rain Forest Cafe Patio |
We had dinner at the Rain Forest Cafe one night and chose to sit on the patio since it was a two hour wait for an inside table. They had heaters on the patio so it wasn't too cold. Mr. Beans was intrigued by them. It started raining right as we finished our meal.
| Video in the Captain EO waiting area |
Disney has brought back Captain EO, a 3-D film starring Michael Jackson that was originally done in 1983. The girls and I used to make yearly trips to Disney World where we saw this film. It was fun to see it again.
| Roses at Disney Land |
Maybe Mr. Beans has a green thumb. Irv is putting in raised beds so I can have a garden this year. Maybe Mr. Beans will get a little space for his own garden so he can raise his own flowers.
| Grammy and Pappy |
There was even an occasional shot of Grammy and Pappy.
Mr. Beans took about 300 pictures during our trip. I need to get those printed for him. The next time you're on a trip with a 10 year old, give him a camera. It's amazing what they take pictures of.
When I was a kid we had cameras with film and flash bulbs. Remember those? It wouldn't have been possible to take hundreds of shots just for the fun of it.
Kids are great!
Comments