Close Up and Personal

 I got an instruction book and DVD for my new Nikon D5000 so today I sat down and played with it. Today I focused on close up shots so I went outside in hunt of some interesting subjects. I was hoping to find a bug, bird, flower, or something interesting to take a shot of. This is winter in Colorado and everything is dead so I didn't have a lot of options.

This is one of the dead plants in my front garden that I haven't cleaned out yet.  I thought it made a cool picture.
These are a couple shots of our douglas firs.  Not too interesting.





















 This is one of our Austrees.  I kind of like this picture too.











 This is one of our blue spruce trees.  Boring.










Cody always make a great subject.











This is my favorite shot of the day...I think I'll call it "rocks".








I really like this one too.  It's the welcome bell by our back door.











I have a lot to learn.  One thing I know is that I need a zoom lense so I can get shots of the birds and horses without disturbing them.  Good thing my birthday isn't too far off. 

Dana suggested I check out one of our local camera shops to see if they offer classes.  Maybe what I really want to be when I grow up is a photographer.  Now if I can only fit a photography class in with my full time job, college courses, SharePoint Designer training, and my trips back and forth to Wichita. 

So much to learn, so little time to do it.


Comments

polcat24 said…
I like the dead plant and the second Douglas Fir.
Dana of Oz said…
I like the Welcome sign alot. I notice you're getting some shallow depth of field (have you learned about that yet?)

This hobby gets expensive. When I come to visit in March, I'm either getting a wide angle lense or a prime lense - I'm trying to decide which would be a better purchase.

There are also alot of websites that offer online photography classes that you could take. Some of them allow you to do them at your own pace so that you don't have to feel forced into a schedule.
Dana of Oz said…
Did you not get the 55-200 lenses with the camera? If not, that's the one you should get. Anything more than that, you'll need a tripod or monopod for the stabilization.
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
I think you are doing well. I like the shallow depth of field you got on some of the shots.

Good luck. I'm intimidated by a "good camera" like what you have so I'm just staying with mine for now.

Listen to your daughter I think she is giving you good advice.

Our local school district is offering classes in photography and I'm going to take a couple that are for "point and shoot" guys like me.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!