Maintaining the well

Winter is almost here so it was time to shut down the sprinklers for the year.  And while he was at it, Irv decided to change the water filter in our well also.


I decided to tag along and watch the process just in case I ever have to do it myself.  I doubt I could even move the cover off the well head.  For you city folk who have never had to maintain a well, changing the water filter is something that has to be done monthly or the water gets very stinky.  Of course it was several years after we moved out here before we realized this is a chore that needs to be done regularly.


First step is to climb down into that tiny little hole.  Okay, going down might be okay, but getting out might be a different story.  I better not gain another ounce if I ever want to fit down there.


Then you have to turn one lever this way and another one the other way then use this special tool to undo the case that holds the filter.  


Put a chunk of chlorine at the bottom than throw in the new filter and then do everything you did previously in reverse to get the system going again.  Yep, I was paying close attention to the step by step instructions.  


Irv made it out.


Then he had to go to the water valves and open them up to release the pressure on the sprinkler lines to drain the water out.


Maisy was thrilled by the whole process.

So those of you who live on city water, count your blesses and pay your water bills.  Our water is free thanks to the aquifer.  Of course there is maintenance and earlier this year we paid thousands of dollars for a new pump so maybe it's not so free after all.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!