Isak Heartstone
We're having a beautiful autumn here in Colorado so over the weekend we decided to head up to the high country in search of the Breckenridge Troll.
The troll had recently been moved to a new location and it was a little tricky figuring out where that was since many websites still had information about it's former location. With a little digging I was able to determine where we needed to go.
This must be the right place!
We parked in the free lot at the skating rink and followed the troll prints to the trail head.
Online it did warn that the trail is not maintained in the winter so use it at your own risk in icy conditions. They weren't kidding. In some areas the trail was snow packed, but in most areas it was a skating rink!
After about a tenth of a mile we saw a long line of people so we knew we were there. Everyone was politely waiting in line for a photo. Most people were climbing in front of him to get a photo, but I wanted a photo of just the troll by himself.
(Truth be told...Irv was kind enough to get the photo. It was so icy in the line that I was sliding away just standing there. I'm still highly protective of my knee so I made it to a location that wasn't icy. Thanks dear!)
So let me tell you about this troll. His name is Isak Heartstone. The artist who created him is a Danish guy by the name of Thomas Dambo. Isak is 15 feet tall and is made entirely from recycled or upcycled materials as is characteristic of Mr. Dambo's artwork. He was created in 2019 for an art festival that is held annually in Breckenridge. He had to be moved from his original location which was near a housing area to this more remote location. You know how people are...they aren't always respectful of other's property.
We always take a selfie when we visit cool things, but it was too crowded around the troll so we got one a little ways down the trail by a beautiful creek.
Afterwards we decided to walk downtown for some lunch and a little shopping. We passed a small exhibit of locomotives on the way.
Look at that plow on the front.
Can you believe it was warm enough to sit outside and drink a brew in Breckenridge in November?
We chose an Irish pub for lunch. We selected the traditional Irish favorites. I had fish and chips and Irv had the bangers and mash. It was beyond delicious!
Irv says I don't have the ability to sit still and not do anything. I'm always on the lookout for our next adventure. Visiting the troll was a good one. I highly recommend it if you're ever in the area.
Comments
The beer and food looks great. You and Irv look great as well.