Skywatch Friday: Neighbors

Out here in the high desert of Eastern Colorado we have some awesome neighbors.


These two miniature donkeys live next door.  They used to roll under the fence and come hang out with us, but then their owner put up a fence that prevented that.  I was bummed.


I just have one word to describe them...cute, cute, cute, cute, and cute!


We also have antelope out here.  Usually it's a bachelor male or two who walk through the pasture, but sometimes the whole herd shows up.  During hunting season I've had hunters show up at the door in their full hunting regalia who ask if they can go out to our pasture and "get" the big buck.  I always say NO, antelope have refuge on our property.


Then there's the adorably cute, bur desperately unwanted varmints.  They're everywhere and if you get anywhere near them they sit up and bark a warning.  In addition to carrying disease they destroy the land and dig holes that could potentially break the legs of my boys.


Doc, is one of my boys.  Both he and his brother, Jasper, just turned 20.  All horses share the same birthday--January 1.  Doc (above) likes to take a nap on the muck pile during the winter.  All that poop generates heat and he seems to enjoy it.


While one of the horses is laying down the other will usually be standing guard nearby.  Then they'll switch.  They're instinct is to protect against predators.  Jasper is pictured above.  He's a sweet boy, he's very social and will always let me catch him unlike Doc.

We have other neighbors out here that I don't have pictures of.  Last week I had a skunk walk down the pathway in front of the house.  Instead of running for my camera I ran to make sure all the dogs were inside.  We've had the dogs sprayed by a skunk before and believe me, it's awful.

We also have rabbits (tons of rabbits), badgers, coyotes, and fox.  Several years ago I saw a lynx out here and our neighbor swears there was a bear out here too.  We've seen a mountain lion several miles east of our place too.

I love having all these critters as neighbors.  It makes life interesting.

Happy Skywatch Friday!

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
I bet that bear has come down to Yellowstone to hang with you.

Great photos.
So cool that you have so many critters, and I'm really happy you don't let hunters on your property!! I don't recall which blog I was reading about those motion activated cameras, but if you had one, bet you would get some great critter shots!

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!