Skywatch Friday: Castles, castles, and more castles
One of my favorite places on earth is Bavaria, Germany and Crazy King Ludwig's fairy tale castles. We first visited them about 25 years ago and last year we got to go back.
Hohenschwangau was Ludwig's childhood home. This castle is old, really old. It was destroyed by Napolean then rebuilt by Ludwig's father.
This castle is beautiful on the inside and out, but...
it must not have been fancy enough for Crazy Ludwig because he started construction of Neuschwanstein just up the hill.
His most opulent castle in my opinion is Linderhof. It is gold plated from ceiling to floor. This is a shot of the grotto out front.
I absolutely love Germany and its history. I'd move back there in an instant if I had the opportunity.
Happy Skywatch Friday!
Hohenschwangau was Ludwig's childhood home. This castle is old, really old. It was destroyed by Napolean then rebuilt by Ludwig's father.
This castle is beautiful on the inside and out, but...
it must not have been fancy enough for Crazy Ludwig because he started construction of Neuschwanstein just up the hill.
Yes, this is the inspiration for the Disney theme parks. I've been through it three times now and each time I'm in awe.
It was never finished and from what I understand Crazy Ludwig nearly bankrupted Bavaria with the construction of his castles. One thing that has changed in the last 25 years is the addition of the gift shop as you exit. I'm not sure I agree with that, but maintaining these castles has to be hugely expensive so I'm sure they look for income wherever they can.
His most opulent castle in my opinion is Linderhof. It is gold plated from ceiling to floor. This is a shot of the grotto out front.
I absolutely love Germany and its history. I'd move back there in an instant if I had the opportunity.
Happy Skywatch Friday!
Comments