Yellowstone Adventure: Mystic Falls
The wireless at the dorm has finally been fixed so I can blog again!
Last Friday was opening day at the campground. I worked the 1:00-10:00 p.m. shift and we were so busy their entire time. Grant campground is huge, it has 429 spots so on opening day we brought in 300+ rigs. Today the rest of those spots will fill up and then we’ll be full for the rest of the summer. Last year the campground’s occupancy was 99%.
Here’s the people I was tailing. They’re all bundled up like it’s winter or something. I started with a fleece and a jacket, but I quickly shed the jacket and when the uphill climb started I shed the fleece too. Before long it started raining and then the rain turned into snow so the fleece went back on.
Before long I got a glimpse of the falls. There is a tremendous amount of water flowing because of the snow melt in the high country.
After admiring the view for a while I had to make like a
mountain goat to make the climb up the hill.
Then I came to a vantage point where I could see Old Faithful village.
This is one of my favorities. It gurgles and bubbles and sometimes spits a little.
I was entertained by this giant RV who ignored the “RVs Prohibited” sign as they tried to make the corner in the parking lot and had to do a lot of maneuvering to get out.
Last Friday was opening day at the campground. I worked the 1:00-10:00 p.m. shift and we were so busy their entire time. Grant campground is huge, it has 429 spots so on opening day we brought in 300+ rigs. Today the rest of those spots will fill up and then we’ll be full for the rest of the summer. Last year the campground’s occupancy was 99%.
We are severely understaffed in the office so we all have to
pull long shifts. Right now I'm working 10 days straight with one day off before the next round starts.
They’re in the process of hiring a couple extra people so hopefully it
won’t be like this for too long. Saturday
was my day off so after sleeping in and lazing around until it got up to 40
degrees I headed out to Biscuit Basin for a hike to Mystic Falls. Now, I know better than to hike by myself in
bear country so I lingered around until I found other people headed the same
direction. It’s always nice knowing
you’re headed in the right direction.
Here’s the people I was tailing. They’re all bundled up like it’s winter or something. I started with a fleece and a jacket, but I quickly shed the jacket and when the uphill climb started I shed the fleece too. Before long it started raining and then the rain turned into snow so the fleece went back on.
Mystic falls is right in an area that was affected by the
1988 fire. As you can see the Park
Service does not do anything with the burnt trees, they let nature take its
course. A bit of trivia…this area is so
arid that these trees decompose at a rate of about 1% per year. So it will take 100 years for these trees to
decompose. As you can see nature
rebounds and new tree growth is taking place.
Another sign that I’m still headed in the correct
direction. My goal was to do the entire
loop and I read that taking the clockwise route was less of a climb.
Before long I got a glimpse of the falls. There is a tremendous amount of water flowing because of the snow melt in the high country.
Pretty soon I was way above the falls. This is where my previously non-existent fear
of heights kicked in, but I no choice except to continue upwards.
Then I came to a vantage point where I could see Old Faithful village.
Another sign that I was going in the correct direction. I knew I was going to intersect with the
Fairy Falls trail and I wanted to make sure I didn’t accidentally get off on
the wrong trail.
Then I came to a water obstacle. Now most people could just jump on those logs
and walk across. Me, I get so nervous
that I would undoubtedly fall off. I did
manage to make it across though without getting wet.
Then I came to the Biscuit Basin overlook. Beautiful!
Then I had to make like a
mountain goat again to get back down the hill.
My trail book was correct, this was definitely a steeper climb than I
had made going the other direction (always good to do your research). I
passed a family from Japan and another from Australia who asked me “how much
further”. I lied and told them they were
almost at the top.
I took a few shots of the geyser
pools at Biscuit Basin.
This is one of my favorities. It gurgles and bubbles and sometimes spits a little.
Then I sat down and watched the
fly fishers for a little while.
I then headed over to Old
Faithful where I was going to find a spot to eat my peanut butter sandwich and
watch the geyser before heading home. I
couldn’t find a parking spot anywhere so I ran into the General Store to grab a
huckleberry lemonade before heading to Kepler Cascades where I had no problem
finding a parking spot.
A fun day and I didn’t get eaten by a grizzly even though I
was by myself. Sad news in the park
over the weekend as a hiker who had gone off by himself had fallen and didn’t
survive. I could just sit in my campsite
and not enjoy the park on my days off, but life is too short to not go exploring.
Live life to the fullest!
Comments
You are right, you didn't go there to stay in the camp, still be careful Sister.
I have a pair of hiking poles that I use when I am going somewhere where I might have to cross water on logs and such. They are very helpful. And Target or Walrmart's cheap pair work just fine.