Day 7 - Travel day to Edinburgh
Day 7 was a travel day to Edinburgh. I treated us to first class train tickets.
We made our way to King's Cross train station and waited for our train in the first class lounge. Irv went off in search of another geocache. I chose to stay behind and guard the luggage. Darn!
We made our way to King's Cross train station and waited for our train in the first class lounge. Irv went off in search of another geocache. I chose to stay behind and guard the luggage. Darn!
Free food, drinks, and wi-fi!
Onboard the train was equally as nice. Stewards came by all the time offering free food and drinks.
Along the way there were fields and fields of these yellow flowers. I thought they might be mustard seed, but someone told us they are rapeseed. They are used to produce some kind of energy so farmers are paid to grow them.
The train travels at about 110 mph and takes about 4 hours. I used the time to update my journal so that I would remember what we did each day so I could accurately blog about it. It turns out that was a really good decision.
See that remnant of a wall down there? That is part of what is left of Hadrian's Wall. You know, another example of a wall that didn't work. It was a fortification built by the Romans a very long time ago.
When the train was pulling into Edinburgh I knew we were in for a treat. The city is so beautiful that it literally made my jaw drop.
The first thing we needed to do was find our hotel. Google maps directed us to one of the largest set of stairs I'd ever seen. This is a picture of one section of those stairs going down. Irv carried both his and mine suitcases up these stairs. It was impressive! What a sweet guy. The next day we found a route to the hotel that only required walking up the street rather than stairs. Dang Google Maps!
That evening we went out for a walk and to find a light dinner. If you're a JK Rowling fan then you know what this cafe is all about.
Yep, fish and chips again.
Comments
Love the trains. They still go fast. First class was nice back then, looks nicer now.