Day 14 (Part 2) - Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Our last day in Europe.  We stayed at a really nice gasthaus called Villa Mittemeir in Rothenburg ob der Tauber--this means Red fortress above the Tauber.  This is one of my favorite German towns.  It dates back to about 950 A.D.

 
It's a medieval city built as a fortress.  Our hotel was right outside the walls which we did intentionally because parking is scarce in the city center.
 
 
We had to stop to find a geocache and leave another travel bug.

 
This is St. Jacob's Kirche, a lutheran church.

 
Very beautiful!

 
I love the stained glass windows.


 
This altar was upstairs in the balcony.

 
This is the Rathaus.
 
 
Ah...there's the street I was looking for, I knew it was here somewhere.

 
Rothenburg has a Christmas museum that I always used to love to visit.  It's huge, you walk upstairs and downstairs and left and right...it's never ending.  I like to take my time and look at all the ornaments and other little trinkets you can get there. 

 
Irv waiting for me as I do a little shopping.

 
We made our way out and walked the wall around the city.

 
Amazing views.  I love the red roofs. 

 
I don't know what this is, but I want a garden just like it.

 
It was such a pleasant stroll through the gardens...one of my favorite things about this trip.
 
 
Easter was the week before so the decorations were still up.

 
The gate from another side of the city.

 
We found a medieval store and I wanted to buy Mr. Beans this armor, but Irv said it was too big for the luggage.  Mr. Beans is really into this stuff and he definitely needs a suit of armor.

 
Irv needed one last fix of Jaeger schnitzel before we headed back to the states so we found a little restaurant which turned out to be a very good choice.  Nothing better than eating with all these antlers.  Some of them were so small, Irv said they must be from jackalopes.
 
So, that's the end of the Germany blogs because we headed home on day 15.  I keep my blog as a journal and some day I'm going to get all my posts made into a book.
 
16 blogs in less than a week.  I'm tired of blogging, but I'm happy to have this trip documented.  I absolutely love Europe, I loved living there and I'd love to move back.  It was a great trip with my sweetie to celebrate 40 years together.

Comments

polcat24 said…
It was an absolutely great trip!!Couple of issues with luggage but other than that it was great.
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Whoa, I miss you for a week and miss two weeks worth of posts. You have been busy. I love that you did this though. I'm glad that you had such a great time. Loved the stained glass windows in this post.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!