Early morning routine
The snow and the cold has returned. We've been stuck inside for what seems like forever now. There's a glimmer of hope this weekend though...we may actually get up to 40 degrees!
So my kids who only blog about once a year, or maybe once every other year, think they have to have a subject to blog about. I'm going to show them how you can blog about anything. For instance, how do you start your day?
Here's how I start mine.
The alarm goes off about 5:15 a.m. I drag myself out of bed, throw on the athletic shoes and spend about 30 minutes with my worst enemy...the treadmill.
I hate the treadmill! It is incredibly boring, but when the weather is bad it's a necessity. You may be wondering why I choose to get out of bed that early and do something that I hate. I've found that activity in the morning brings out the natural endorphins. I feel better, I have a better attitude, and I'm much better able to handle the stressful day of an IT professional. (In three weeks I become a one-woman IT department. I get stressed just thinking about it so we won't discuss that right now.)
After showering and getting ready for work it's time for breakfast. Here's my favorite breakfast:
Lowfat yogurt, mixed berries (fresh berries when they're in season), kale, and banana...
all mixed together with some chocolate flavored protein powder, water, and ice.
It makes a delicious and nutritious breakfast smoothie that can be consumed on the drive to work.
Next, I pack my lunch.
Lunch is usually a turkey sandwich and a diet Coke (not good I know). I also include lots of fruit and a protein bar for my 10:00 a.m. snack. I rarely eat lunch out. For me, it's really hard to be eat healthy if I eat out very often. It's very difficult to control my eating when served a ridiculous sized portion of food that we Americans have become accustomed to. If I do eat out for lunch it's usually at Subway--a place where it's easy to make healthy choices.
I aim to leave for work at about 6:50 which gets me to work around 7:15. By arriving early I can leave a little early. By leave I mean head down to the gym after work. If the weather is good and it's not snowing I try to finish off my 10K steps on the treadmill at work. It doesn't always happen, but that's my goal.
The first 5K of the year is only 11 days away. I've never done a 5K in the snow and I don't plan on starting anytime soon. For the first time ever I may do a same day registration for this race because it all depends on the weather. Yes, I'm a sissy, I know.
So that's how I like to start my day. How do you start yours?
(By the way, I know people are reading my blog. My brother is my most faithful reader and always leaves me a comment. Irv is my second best commenter followed by a bunch of random strangers who leave me comments on Skywatch Friday. If you're reading this please leave me a comment instead of just being a stalker. I'd love to hear from you.)
So my kids who only blog about once a year, or maybe once every other year, think they have to have a subject to blog about. I'm going to show them how you can blog about anything. For instance, how do you start your day?
Here's how I start mine.
The alarm goes off about 5:15 a.m. I drag myself out of bed, throw on the athletic shoes and spend about 30 minutes with my worst enemy...the treadmill.
After showering and getting ready for work it's time for breakfast. Here's my favorite breakfast:
Lowfat yogurt, mixed berries (fresh berries when they're in season), kale, and banana...
all mixed together with some chocolate flavored protein powder, water, and ice.
It makes a delicious and nutritious breakfast smoothie that can be consumed on the drive to work.
Next, I pack my lunch.
Lunch is usually a turkey sandwich and a diet Coke (not good I know). I also include lots of fruit and a protein bar for my 10:00 a.m. snack. I rarely eat lunch out. For me, it's really hard to be eat healthy if I eat out very often. It's very difficult to control my eating when served a ridiculous sized portion of food that we Americans have become accustomed to. If I do eat out for lunch it's usually at Subway--a place where it's easy to make healthy choices.
I aim to leave for work at about 6:50 which gets me to work around 7:15. By arriving early I can leave a little early. By leave I mean head down to the gym after work. If the weather is good and it's not snowing I try to finish off my 10K steps on the treadmill at work. It doesn't always happen, but that's my goal.
The first 5K of the year is only 11 days away. I've never done a 5K in the snow and I don't plan on starting anytime soon. For the first time ever I may do a same day registration for this race because it all depends on the weather. Yes, I'm a sissy, I know.
So that's how I like to start my day. How do you start yours?
(By the way, I know people are reading my blog. My brother is my most faithful reader and always leaves me a comment. Irv is my second best commenter followed by a bunch of random strangers who leave me comments on Skywatch Friday. If you're reading this please leave me a comment instead of just being a stalker. I'd love to hear from you.)



Comments