Veggies, veggies, veggies!

My garden didn't do too well this summer, too cool and rainy I suppose.

Now that it's October, however, it is going crazy.

Hundreds of tomatoes, zucchinis, and cucumbers.  What to do with all this fresh produce?  I wish there were a way to freeze it in it's current state.  I never learned how to can and I don't like frozen veggies too much, so I need to find a way to use it as it comes off the vine.

Last weekend it was homemade spaghetti sauce with the tomatoes.

Turning tomatoes into sauce takes a few steps so I had to recruit help (even if he was wearing a KC Chiefs jersey).

I peeled the tomatoes, Irv did the chopping.

I sautéed up some onions, garlic, and herbs.






Added the tomatoes then...







put it all in the crockpot to simmer for hours and hours.  Of course we added some ground beef (because we're beef eaters around here.)






It was quite yummy!









While I was in Wichita last week Irv made another trip out to the garden and harvested another bushel of veggies.  What do I make this week?

  
I made a trip to grocery store to get some onions, cilantro, bell peppers, limes, and jalapenos so I could make some salsa, something I had never tried before.




It came out really good although kind of hot.  I sent it with Irv to his work today.  They ate it all up.

I kept some for myself to eat during the Bronco's game.  It was tasty, but after eating a few chips with salsa I had to quit and get a popsicle to cool my mouth down.

Note to self:  don't use so many jalapenos next time!




This morning I got up and made eight loaves of zucchini bread.  (Good thing we have a freezer!)













For dinner I made the Pioneer Woman's beef stew.

Quite delicious!



Finally!  We're pretty much caught up with the abundance of veggies.






Not so fast--I went out early this afternoon to put the geese in their pen because the wind was blowing and the temperature had dropped to the upper 30s and I thought they were cold.  I decided to make a quick trip to the garden to see if anymore cucumbers were ready.

Look what I came back in with.

What can I make with tomatoes, cucumbers, and zucchini next weekend? 

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!




Comments

polcat24 said…
Needless to say, I have been gaining weight with all this good stuff she has been making!!
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Irv is still a Chief's fan?

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!