Here in the arctic...
I flew up to Minnesota with my sweet hubby yesterday. Who flies to Minnesota in January??
Let me tell you about cold...bone chilling, breath taking cold. Wow! Are we ever spoiled living in Colorado where it might be 20 degrees one day and 60 degrees the next.
Anyway, I'm up here for a consultation at the Mayo Clinic. Before you ask...no, I do not have cancer. That's the first question everyone asks when I tell them where I'm going.
I have chronic pain. We know what's causing the pain, but nobody in Colorado can treat it. That's why I'm here--for a consultation with the best vascular surgeons in the States.
In my mind I had an idea of what the Mayo Clinic was like. I knew it provided exceptional service, but it's been around for years. I expected older infrastructure that is very "hospital-like". This place is amazing. Everything is state-of-the-art, modern, and up-to-date. The service they provide to patients is exceptional. Everything is made for the comfort and convenience of the patients. There are several sky bridges that connect the buildings.
(I made Irv take a walk around the block so I could take some pictures off. We nearly froze.)
Our hotel is across the street from the clinic, but we don't even have to go outside to get there. There is a subway level that connects several hotels with all the buildings that make up the clinic complex. The subway level is even heated so this morning when we went to my first appointment, we didn't even have to wear our jackets.

The hallways are filled with art and statues. There are atriums and sittings areas that are comfy and warm.
The various buildings that make up the clinic and hospitals have many types of architecture....traditional to modern. I find this mixture to be very appealing and interesting.
So I had an early morning appointment with my doctor. He spent over an hour with me asking every detail of the journey I've been on over the past 2 1/2 years. And I mean every detail. I've never had a doctor be so thorough and take the time to understand what I've been through. Sometimes my OCD with organization really pays off because I was able to pull out my notes and give him dates and details. He also looked at all the imaging CDs I brought with me.
When a surgeon at the Mayo Clinic is looking at your imaging and says "wow, I've never seen a vein that big" you know it's not good. My vascular surgeon at home had also told me I was exceptional, but it's not always good to be exceptional.
We know what the problem is, but now there's another hurdle--the insurance company. The condition I have is not recognized by insurance companies as a legitimate condition. Tomorrow I go see two more specialists and if they agree with the diagnosis and treatment plan, then they will go to bat with my insurance company.
Since we only had one appointment today we decided to go see August: Osage County this afternoon. Excellent movie, superb acting, but a really dark story line. Irv and I came out of there feeling like we needed to go do something happy and tell our family how much we love them.
And the journey continues...
Anyway, I'm up here for a consultation at the Mayo Clinic. Before you ask...no, I do not have cancer. That's the first question everyone asks when I tell them where I'm going.
I have chronic pain. We know what's causing the pain, but nobody in Colorado can treat it. That's why I'm here--for a consultation with the best vascular surgeons in the States.
In my mind I had an idea of what the Mayo Clinic was like. I knew it provided exceptional service, but it's been around for years. I expected older infrastructure that is very "hospital-like". This place is amazing. Everything is state-of-the-art, modern, and up-to-date. The service they provide to patients is exceptional. Everything is made for the comfort and convenience of the patients. There are several sky bridges that connect the buildings.
(I made Irv take a walk around the block so I could take some pictures off. We nearly froze.)
The various buildings that make up the clinic and hospitals have many types of architecture....traditional to modern. I find this mixture to be very appealing and interesting.
When a surgeon at the Mayo Clinic is looking at your imaging and says "wow, I've never seen a vein that big" you know it's not good. My vascular surgeon at home had also told me I was exceptional, but it's not always good to be exceptional.
We know what the problem is, but now there's another hurdle--the insurance company. The condition I have is not recognized by insurance companies as a legitimate condition. Tomorrow I go see two more specialists and if they agree with the diagnosis and treatment plan, then they will go to bat with my insurance company.
Since we only had one appointment today we decided to go see August: Osage County this afternoon. Excellent movie, superb acting, but a really dark story line. Irv and I came out of there feeling like we needed to go do something happy and tell our family how much we love them.
And the journey continues...
Comments
Prayers from Oklahoma for you Ellen!