13.1 in 2014

So I've made a new commitment--a half marathon next spring.  I don't know which one yet, but I'm going to find one that has a nice, flat course.  Apparently the first step when you start training for a half marathon is to actually sign up for one.  It holds you accountable.

Since I'm a non-runner I started with some advice from an expert.  This author has a run-walk plan that sounds really good to me plus he starts with a reasonable training plan for a beginner that gradually builds up to miles of running-walking per week.  He even starts with the basics--shoes.  Where to buy them and what to look for.

Wish me luck--I think I'm only about 25% committed to this especially with the cold of winter coming up.  I cleaned off the treadmill and got it ready to use.  Even Irv is jumping onboard.

Comments

polcat24 said…
She's even talking about doing the Hal-marathon in Vegas when we go for the NFR Finals. I'm all for it!!
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Good for you!!!
Lots of people run halfs and full marathons using Galway's book. The two marathons I ran years ago I used his method. I ran six minutes and walked one. The half I ran last year I ran 3 minutes and walked one. (Cuz I'm a lot older)

I've known several people that have run the half or full in Vegas and they all love it. I think Phoenix has one also.

If the Arabian show is in Tulsa next year maybe you could run the 15k as a training run.

The Route 66 half and full here in Tulsa is a nice run also but not near as glamorous as Las Vegas or Phoenix.
Dana of Oz said…
Adam is doing the Rock and Roll half marathon in Phoenix in Mid-January if you want to come do that with him!

but you should look for one in Phoenix - the weather would be much better!
Dana of Oz said…
You should also see if there's an app for your iphone that you can use. I'm doing the Ease to 5k right now. It builds up your running time but the great thing is that it will play a sound for you when it's time to walk or run so that you don't have to keep an eye on your watch.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!