Random thoughts for Wednesday
We have a new blogger in the family. Check out Brian's blog at http://odmoose.blogspot.com.
Jillian updated her blog too--http://meetthemooses.blogspot.com.
We need to keep these two in our thoughts and prayers for the next several months.
Now all we need is for Mary to start blogging, then the whole family will be involved.
I just went over 14,000 hits on this blog. Who the heck is out there reading my extremely boring blog? Come on people, leave me a comment every now and then.
Now some random extremely boring thoughts on my day.
I spent the whole day at a State 4-H Horse Advisory Committee meeting in Golden. We only meet three times per year so there's always a lot of stuff to go over. Luckily, I have an employer who supports 4-H so they let me go to these middle of the week meetings without taking vacation time.
It's nice being a member of this group. Every time I think about stepping down from this committee, I realize I'd no longer be associated with these people and I'm not ready for that. I don't think I've mentioned that this is Jillian's second year as president of the El Paso County 4-H Horse Advisory Committee, which makes me really proud. Perhaps she will soon be ready to move up to the state level.
Have I mentioned lately that I love 4-H?
Perhaps it's time to start coaching again--maybe next year after I'm finished with school? I miss those kids! But if I start coaching again, I'll have to step down as a state superintendent. Hmmm
So, at the Rocky Mountain Horse Expo this year they are having a 4-H Invitational Horse Show. The top five riders from each county will be invited to show for CASH prizes.
The call for volunteers went out, and against my better judgement, my hand went up. What am I thinking? Actually I know what I'm thinking--nobody else was volunteering to help my friend Jon who is working on this show. I've already recruited Jillian to come help and who knows, maybe Irv will come announce. (Don't say anything though because I haven't mentioned it to him yet.)
A horse show on Sunday, March 10th that doesn't start until 2:00 p.m.? You know how I feel about being out late and not getting enough sleep.
Oh well, there are only four classes and it's only one night and if we can get the Expo to start supporting the 4-H horse project again, it's well worth it.
Another thing we discussed was the possibility of allowing 4-Hers to participate in gymkhana events in English tack and attire. Really? Does that even make sense? What about tradition? Safety? We tabled that conversation until the 4-Her who is proposing this change comes to our next meeting and makes a presentation on why it should be considered.
Helmet requirements were another discussion. This is an extremely sensitive subject that comes up every year. Cowboys don't wear helmets. The only time I've worn a helmet was when Doc was young and I thought I might unexpectedly land on my head. These are kids though and 4-H teaches safety. Extension agents in our state have been threatened if they even consider requiring helmets. None of us even like going there. Tough subject.
So that's my day in a nutshell. Long drive home then a banana, strawberries, trail mix, and yogurt for dinner (part of my 24-day clean eating that I'll tell you about another time).
Jillian updated her blog too--http://meetthemooses.blogspot.com.
We need to keep these two in our thoughts and prayers for the next several months.
Now all we need is for Mary to start blogging, then the whole family will be involved.
I just went over 14,000 hits on this blog. Who the heck is out there reading my extremely boring blog? Come on people, leave me a comment every now and then.
Now some random extremely boring thoughts on my day.
I spent the whole day at a State 4-H Horse Advisory Committee meeting in Golden. We only meet three times per year so there's always a lot of stuff to go over. Luckily, I have an employer who supports 4-H so they let me go to these middle of the week meetings without taking vacation time.
It's nice being a member of this group. Every time I think about stepping down from this committee, I realize I'd no longer be associated with these people and I'm not ready for that. I don't think I've mentioned that this is Jillian's second year as president of the El Paso County 4-H Horse Advisory Committee, which makes me really proud. Perhaps she will soon be ready to move up to the state level.
Have I mentioned lately that I love 4-H?
Perhaps it's time to start coaching again--maybe next year after I'm finished with school? I miss those kids! But if I start coaching again, I'll have to step down as a state superintendent. Hmmm
So, at the Rocky Mountain Horse Expo this year they are having a 4-H Invitational Horse Show. The top five riders from each county will be invited to show for CASH prizes.
The call for volunteers went out, and against my better judgement, my hand went up. What am I thinking? Actually I know what I'm thinking--nobody else was volunteering to help my friend Jon who is working on this show. I've already recruited Jillian to come help and who knows, maybe Irv will come announce. (Don't say anything though because I haven't mentioned it to him yet.)
A horse show on Sunday, March 10th that doesn't start until 2:00 p.m.? You know how I feel about being out late and not getting enough sleep.
Oh well, there are only four classes and it's only one night and if we can get the Expo to start supporting the 4-H horse project again, it's well worth it.
Another thing we discussed was the possibility of allowing 4-Hers to participate in gymkhana events in English tack and attire. Really? Does that even make sense? What about tradition? Safety? We tabled that conversation until the 4-Her who is proposing this change comes to our next meeting and makes a presentation on why it should be considered.
Helmet requirements were another discussion. This is an extremely sensitive subject that comes up every year. Cowboys don't wear helmets. The only time I've worn a helmet was when Doc was young and I thought I might unexpectedly land on my head. These are kids though and 4-H teaches safety. Extension agents in our state have been threatened if they even consider requiring helmets. None of us even like going there. Tough subject.
So that's my day in a nutshell. Long drive home then a banana, strawberries, trail mix, and yogurt for dinner (part of my 24-day clean eating that I'll tell you about another time).
Comments
All the riders wear a helmet at Logan's Thereapeutic HB sessions. That's different though.