Another hot day

The most exciting thing happening in Colorado Springs these days is the Waldo Canyon fire.  Our local news stations have had 24/7 coverage of the fire since it started on Saturday. 

It's up to 4,500 acres and is now 5% contained.  A Type I Incident Team took control of the fire today.  Apparently they are like the "Navy Seals" of fire fighting.  I cannot imagine fighting fire anytime, but especially in 100+ degree temperatures in rough terrain.  The Air Force started supplying the big air tankers today also.

This morning I was on the west side of town for a doctor's appointment.  It did't look so bad early in the morning.

By this afternoon, it looked completely different.  Very impressive and very sad at the same time.

Here's a shot of the new office building which is located on the eastern edge of town far from the fire.  It's kind of cool how the smoke is floating over the top of the steel beams.


Mary checked with Mr. Beans' camp and they are still planning on having camp next week.  The main road between here and there is closed though and the detour takes about twice as long to get there.  Camp in 100 degree weather in a tender box of a forest---hmmm, doesn't that sound like fun? 

Positive thinking and lots of prayers--it will cool down and rain soon!

Comments

Brenda Hammer said…
We can see the smoke from this fire all the way out here in Wild Horse! (One hundred miles from the east side of Colorado Springs!) I was in the Springs today. Like you said, not too bad this morning and awful by this afternoon!
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
I'm not sure if Mr. Beans is going to have his camp or not.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!