True Grit plus more Questions and Results
Since we're all a bunch of Western movie fans, we decided to go see the new True Grit movie on Christmas Eve. Anybody who knows me knows that my favorite movie of all time is True Grit with John Wayne, Kim Darby, and Glenn Campbell. I must admit that I was a little skeptical when I heard they were re-making True Grit with Jeff Bridges in the role of Rooster Cogburn. However, I was still excited to see the new version of the film.
Well, I'm sorry to report that they should have left the movie alone. It was so slow in the beginning that I actually dosed off for a few minutes. The end of the movie was better, but it still didn't live up to the original. Just to make sure my assessment was correct, when we got home from the theatre I made everyone sit down and watch the original movie so we could accurately compare the two. Although Jeff Bridges did a good job, there is only one Rooster Cogburn and Mattie Ross.
I grew up in a small town in Arizona where John Wayne had a ranch--the 26 Bar Ranch where he raised Hereford cattle. Although I was very young at the time, I can remember when the town celebrated the Duke with John Wayne day. Parade, rodeo, and barbecue in his honor, plus we got to go out to his ranch and see his bird dogs in action. My parents had the honor of sitting at the head table with John Wayne and his wife. He gave my mom a gold cigarette lighter that my dad has since donated to a museum in Idaho.
The original True Grit was released in 1969 and John Wayne won an Oscar for his performance. Can Jeff Bridges do the same?
----------------------------------------------------
Day 2 answers and results:
1. Geography - What three South American countries does the equator cross? Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador
2. Entertainment - What ws the Oscar winning theme song of Breakfast at Tiffany's? Moon River
3. History - Who was nicknamed The Cowboy President? Theodore Roosevelt
4. Arts & Literature - Whose biography by Derek Jewell is title Duke? Duke Ellington’s
5. Science & Nature - How many stars are there in Big Dipper? Seven
6. Sports & Leisure - What's the nickname of oddsmaker Jimmy Snyder? Jimmy the Greek
Congrats Alan with 6 out of 6 correct! Dana, Jillian, and Irv all tied with 5 out of 6 correct. Alan is awarded a Brown wedge. He is now in the lead with a pink and a brown wedge. The rest of you only have pink wedges.
Here are your day 4 questions for an ORANGE wedge:
1. Geography – What’s the capital of Israel?
2. Entertainment – What peach dessert was named for an opera singer?
3. History – Who said: “Our long national nightmare is over”?
4. Arts & Literature – What 1960s self-help book was based on people not feeling OK?
5. Science & Nature – What turns blue litmus paper red?
6. Sports & Leisure – How did golfer Champagne Tony Lema die?
Day 3 and 4 answers and results will be posted tomorrow.
Well, I'm sorry to report that they should have left the movie alone. It was so slow in the beginning that I actually dosed off for a few minutes. The end of the movie was better, but it still didn't live up to the original. Just to make sure my assessment was correct, when we got home from the theatre I made everyone sit down and watch the original movie so we could accurately compare the two. Although Jeff Bridges did a good job, there is only one Rooster Cogburn and Mattie Ross.
I grew up in a small town in Arizona where John Wayne had a ranch--the 26 Bar Ranch where he raised Hereford cattle. Although I was very young at the time, I can remember when the town celebrated the Duke with John Wayne day. Parade, rodeo, and barbecue in his honor, plus we got to go out to his ranch and see his bird dogs in action. My parents had the honor of sitting at the head table with John Wayne and his wife. He gave my mom a gold cigarette lighter that my dad has since donated to a museum in Idaho.
The original True Grit was released in 1969 and John Wayne won an Oscar for his performance. Can Jeff Bridges do the same?
----------------------------------------------------
Day 2 answers and results:
1. Geography - What three South American countries does the equator cross? Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador
2. Entertainment - What ws the Oscar winning theme song of Breakfast at Tiffany's? Moon River
3. History - Who was nicknamed The Cowboy President? Theodore Roosevelt
4. Arts & Literature - Whose biography by Derek Jewell is title Duke? Duke Ellington’s
5. Science & Nature - How many stars are there in Big Dipper? Seven
6. Sports & Leisure - What's the nickname of oddsmaker Jimmy Snyder? Jimmy the Greek
Congrats Alan with 6 out of 6 correct! Dana, Jillian, and Irv all tied with 5 out of 6 correct. Alan is awarded a Brown wedge. He is now in the lead with a pink and a brown wedge. The rest of you only have pink wedges.
Here are your day 4 questions for an ORANGE wedge:
1. Geography – What’s the capital of Israel?
2. Entertainment – What peach dessert was named for an opera singer?
3. History – Who said: “Our long national nightmare is over”?
4. Arts & Literature – What 1960s self-help book was based on people not feeling OK?
5. Science & Nature – What turns blue litmus paper red?
6. Sports & Leisure – How did golfer Champagne Tony Lema die?
Day 3 and 4 answers and results will be posted tomorrow.



Comments
2- Peach Melba
3- Gerald Ford
4- Im OK, Your OK
5- Acid
6- Plane Crash