Projects, projects, and more projects
Well, we're one cat shorter right now. Kitten's mother flew over from Germany to take her home. For almost three months Kitten hid under the bed or under the couch. She wanted nothing to do with us until the day before she was flying to Germany. Then she came out and was very friendly and social. I attribute this to the sedative she was on because she had to go to the vet for her health certificate. This picture makes her look all sweet, but believe me she can be quite ferocious and has even attacked the vet before. I guess we should have kept her drugged the whole time.
Of course our daughter came here during the coldest days of winter. Too cold to go outside for anything. It was a busy few days of getting a health certificate for the cat and a Covid PCR test for my daughter within 48 hours of her arrival back in Germany.
Are you aware that the average American can't even fly to Germany right now? Nope, they and most of Europe don't want us because we're a hot spot. We did such a poor job of controlling the virus that we are not welcome there. My daughter could only do it because they're stationed in Germany with the military. Quite embarrassing for America I think.
We had planned to take our daughter to our favorite Mexican restaurant on the way back to the Denver airport, but there was a massive accident on the interstate that day and we had to take the back way to Denver which added more time to the trip and eliminated a margarita stop.
On the way back, however, the accident had been cleared so Irv and I decided to stop and honor Jillian with a margarita and a plate of the best Mexican food ever. Since I was only 10 days out of knee surgery I limited myself to one of their "mini" margaritas. Their margaritas are so potent that you can only be served a maximum of three. One of their regular size margaritas is all I can handle.
We have home improvement projects going on around the house this winter. We stayed at an Airbnb in Flagstaff awhile back and the house had a built in water filter for drinking water.
My daughter and son-in-law had one installed in their new kitchen and I told Irv how much I'd like to have one also. He did some research and low and behold I now have a filtered water faucet at my sink too. It was made easier because we had a soap dispenser hole drilled in our new countertops when we did a kitchen remodel a couple years ago. Love it! I'm a big water drinker so this is a godsend to me. We live in the country with well water that is high in manganese. It's nice having some of that filtered out now.
The most recent project is the updating of some light fixtures. We never used the ceiling fan in our family room and I've been wanting to update it for some time.
The hardest part was picking out the new fixture. Decent light fixtures aren't cheap so you have to be sure of the one you pick.
It took a little work, but between the two of us we got this beast hung without burning down the house.
It has 12 60-watt Edison light bulbs and is a little bit like looking into the sun when you're in that room, but it's nice to be so illuminated, that ceiling fan light was really dim. Keeping my house updated is important to me, I don't ever want to be the little old lady that still has wood paneling in her house. I'm sure my kids will always help me know when updating is necessary.
Some of you may remember when a micro burst hit our house last summer. Not only did the she shed flip over, but the pergola flew off the back deck and across the fence. It is was the pergola actually knocked the she shed over.
Anyway, the pergola was destroyed. Irv has been watching for a replacement and a couple weeks ago he found a comparable one that was on sale for $700 off. We went and picked one up and it's sitting in the garage waiting to be assembled when the weather gets nice. Irv says he's going to assemble it himself this time and this time it will be anchored to something. The thing weighs a ton so I'm not sure how it flew off last time. Should have taken better precautions.
This week we're getting bids on replacing all the windows too. We've been putting off installing new windows for a couple years now and instead chose to travel the world. Since travel isn't going to be possible this year, we'll get the new windows which are desperately needed.
What home projects are keeping you busy this winter?










Comments