Deep Freeze...I'm staying inside
The U.S. seems to be in the midst of a deep freeze right now. Colorado Springs has been below zero for a couple days and it looks like we have a couple more days to go before we get above freezing.
Apparently I picked a good week to have knee surgery. I wouldn't have been able to go hiking anyway. Here I am after being dropped off at the surgery center. Is there anything more lonely that being dropped off at a surgery center by yourself? Dang Covid, dang anti-maskers, dang conspiracy theorists! If y'all were just a tiny bit smarter maybe we'd be on the backside of this pandemic.
So not to gross anyone out, but here's my leg after surgery. Don't worry, they didn't bruise me up. The blue is from the antiseptic they wash the skin with. Only two little ports to put the scope and other instrument in.
I don't know why, but the sorest part of my leg is from above my knee up my thigh toward the hip. It's like the sorest, pulled muscle you can ever imagine. I don't want to think about what was going on with my leg in the surgery suite. To be honest, I had to go watch a YouTube video on the procedure and apparently there's all kinds of manipulation that goes on with the leg to get the camera and instrument into the joint. They should have told me to have a good stretch before wheeling me in there.
It's so weird waking up from anesthesia. One minute you're in the surgical suite with all kinds of activity going on around you and the next minute you're in recovery with a whole other group of people making sure you're waking up okay. The best part of it all...the heated blankets.
I got myself dressed after the procedure and they put me in a recliner while I waited for Irv to come pick me up. A pitfall of living 45 minutes from the surgery center is that it took Irv awhile to get there. They offered snacks and drinks. I only wanted water, cup after cup of water.
Irv took great care of me those first couple days when I was really drugged up. I only got out of bed to make trips to the bathroom(see multiple cups of water referenced above). I did become quite skilled at the crutches even if Irv did have to follow along behind me to keep me steady after all the pain killers, muscle relaxers, etc. I'm not going to lie, day two was intense...probably the worst pain I've ever been in. By day three though, I was already weaning myself off the drugs.
Maisy has been my constant companion. She's been curled up by my leg the whole time. The cats on the other hand think it's funny to walk across that leg and watch my reaction. Irv sometimes forgets and tries to pat me on the knee. Luckily, I'm always on defense when he's up and moving about. (Seriously though, I don't know what I'd do without that wonderful man.)
I had the first follow up with my doctor yesterday and was released from using the crutches around the house. I've been doing my range of motion exercises every day (thanks to Mary who mentioned there might be some exercises that needed to be done. I found them on my surgeon's website.) Following the doctor's orders certainly make a difference...I don't want to be that person who always thinks they know more than the doctors.
So leave me a comment and let me know how you're surviving the deep freeze, or be that person who obviously reads my posts and never leaves a comment. It's up to you...be interactive or be a stalker, your choice.
And oh yes, a special thanks to the people who took time out of their days to call and check on me. It means a lot.
Stay warm!




Comments
And being the good blogger that you are, you took photos and made a post.
Let me see, you hate cold, both of your are retired and so of course you stay in freezing Colorado.