Liberated!

 What do you do around the house during a pandemic when everything else is done?  You start cleaning.


Yesterday I did a few cabinets and closets in the house, but today it was time to tackle the garage.  Much to my surprise Irv actually asked if I needed help.  What?  I'm the organizer and cleaner in our household.  Even Irv will admit that he's a bit of a packrat (he comes by it naturally).  Today, however, he actually parted with a few things all on his own like a old toilet seat that was replaced a couple years ago.  I was proud of him.


Look how nice it looks now.  

We actually found a place in town that we can haul our recyclables to, but they all have to be separated.  You can't really see it, but in the corner are five different bins for recycling because everything has to be sorted.  I told Irv I'd take on that project because I believe it's a moral responsibility to recycle whenever possible.  Yes, I am a liberal, earth loving democrat through and through.


Here's our stack of donations that have been in the garage for a few months.  This week we'll load them up and drop them off.  We found that yellow tub in our pasture.  It more than likely blew over from the neighbor's house--we get really tired of picking up their trash and other crap from our property.


Here's the two boxes of donations I did yesterday while cleaning out linen closets, bathroom cabinets, and my dresser.  My rule is that if it hasn't been used in a year then it needs to go.  Tomorrow I tackle my work clothes.  The only work clothes I need now is the green and gray uniforms of the Park Service.  

There is nothing more liberating than cleaning stuff out.  I try really hard not to be that parent that expects my kids to clean out my crap after I'm gone.  If it were up to me I'd get rid of it all, sell the house, and hit the road in the RV for a few years. 


What else have I been up to?  I'm getting ready for surgery next week.  I've been practicing on crutches for the last couple weeks.  They are really difficult for an 60 year old lady.  Yesterday my daughter suggested that a walker might be easier so we found one at Goodwill for $4.  It is much easier plus I can take Maisy around the house with me.

My doctor is a world renowned knee guy.  He says 5-7 days on the crutches then partial weight bearing.  Physical therapy starts 4 days after surgery and he says I'll be good as new in 6-10 weeks depending on how hard I work at the PT.  Let's hope he's right, I've accepted a May 9th start date in Yellowstone and 10 hours a day on your feet requires a good knee.


I started a new paining last week.  Keep in mind that the above is the underpainting.  I've moved away from my National Park phase, but it's still going to be a local park.  It has a long way to go and only Colorado Springs natives would know what it's going to be.  My biggest concern now is that it's a two flights of stairs climb to my teacher's studio.  That will probably be my biggest motivator for working hard to rehab my knee.


I've been trying new recipes lately and gotten the instant pot out.  Today I'm cooking a rump roast.  The recipe says it takes about an hour and a half to be tender.  I'm  a little skeptical.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Life is a little boring around our house and it's about to get even more so after my surgery next week.  I'm trying to think of things to post about, but it's difficult.

How are you surviving the pandemic? (Please leave a comment)  Thanks for visiting!







Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Throwing stuff out is liberating!! It feels great. We have thrown out or given out a bunch of stuff since this last summer and we still have a lot. It's a process rather than an event.

I'm reading a book about Baby Boomers hitting the open road and ditching their houses (wheel estate instead of real estate, and houseless, not homeless). I'll let you have it if you are interested after I am done reading it.

Good luck on your surgery. I went to the doctor today and he thinks I have beginning arthritis in my back. What, for that I pay him.....

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!