Sir, I place this class....

It's that time of year again--National Western Stock Show which means it's time for the 4-H Western National Roundup Horse Judging contest.  This is the fourth year that I've been asked to tabulate.


The contestants were at the Denver Coliseum bright and early.  They can't talk to anyone during the entire contest and they're spaced out in the stands to make it fair and square.


The previous day was extremely cold and snowy so many of the people bringing horses chose not to show up.  Luckily one barn was there that provided horses for almost all the classes--mostly the same four horses.  I really can't blame anyone for not wanting to haul horses on icy roads--I wouldn't do it.


I wondered around the innards of the Coliseum and found this beautiful wagon.  I wish I were here to see the Clydesdale team pull it.


My camera decided it wasn't going to take any action shots no matter how much I fiddled with the settings.


It is kind of a cool, double-exposed effect.


The five performance classes were followed by three halter classes.  The contestants get to come down into the arena to get a close look at the horses during this phase of the competition.


One halter and performance were all done I headed back to my office at the hotel for the reasons portion of the contest.  This is where a lot of waiting happens.  In fact, I'm writing this blog while waiting.


Lunch was provided.  They always have the same lunch--cold cuts, cheese, veggies, and break for sandwich making.  It was quite yummy and very much appreciated after a long morning at the Coliseum.

The officials are in giving their critique right now.  I always wait around to see if a coach wants to challenge my tabulations.  I check them and re-check them, but no human is infallible so there's always a chance I input something wrong.  I know these youth work years to get to this contest so I want it to be right.   The teams won't know the final results until the awards ceremony on Sunday morning.

It's fun, it's exhausting, and I can't wait to do it again next year!

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Good on you for giving back. In Oklahoma the country people wait for ice storms to drive their empty stock trailers up and down the freeway causing chaos and havoc wherever they go.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!