Happy Birthday Mom!

Today my mom would have been 87.  She's been gone for 13 years now, but it seems like forever.  I feel like I got ripped off because I was only 43 when my mom died.  I know a lot of people lose their moms at an earlier age, but most of my friends who are my age or older still have their mom.  Another 10 or 20 years would have been nice.

 
My mom was a strong, independent woman and a fierce Democrat.  I know she was smiling in heaven as I worked non-stop for Hillary during this past election.  I know she will be with me on January 21 when I stand with a million other women to support women's right.  I also know she will be rolling in her grave on January 20th when that man is inaugurated.
 
My mom loved her family, especially her grandkids.  One of her traditions were Christmas socks.  I have a whole drawer full of Christmas socks that she gave me over the years.  I wear them throughout December to keep her close.
 
 
I don't know what I'll do when they start falling apart and getting holes in them.
 
 
Irv and I remembered her at Sonic a couple days ago.  There's a family story about how my mom once tried a Sonic burger, probably 30 years ago.  She didn't like it and she never went back.  I was fortunate to be able to spend time with mom the two weeks before she passed.  Her nursing home was right next to a Sonic so one day I convinced her to try another Sonic burger.  She agreed and I think she like it, but she never admitted it.  It's always good for a laugh.
 
Anyway, notice how Irv is holding half a Sonic burger?  You know you're getting old when you order one burger to share and ask them to cut it in two.  I'm not much of a fan of fast food--I believe it should be avoided unless you want to be obese, but every once and a while half a Sonic burger is a special treat.
 
Happy Birthday Mom!
 
Live everyday to the fullest and follow your dreams!


Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Great post Ellen! I feel a little cheated also that we lost her so young

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!