Christmas in the frozen tundra
So another Christmas has come and gone. I don't want to sound like a Grinch, but I'm glad it's over with. Christmas is by far my least favorite holiday.
The best part of Christmas is time spent with family. Here I am with my dad enjoying a Christmas Eve adult beverage. For many years my mom and dad travelled to wherever Irv was stationed for the holidays. Nowadays we travel to see him. Some people don't realize that roads travel in both directions so I'm appreciative that my parents always took the time to come see us rather than expecting us to do all the travelling.
The best part of Christmas is time spent with family. Here I am with my dad enjoying a Christmas Eve adult beverage. For many years my mom and dad travelled to wherever Irv was stationed for the holidays. Nowadays we travel to see him. Some people don't realize that roads travel in both directions so I'm appreciative that my parents always took the time to come see us rather than expecting us to do all the travelling.
This year Christmas was different, we weren't in our house and we weren't in my dad's house. We were able to rent a house so that we could all be together, but it was weird. Plus, once again we weren't able to be with all our kids which breaks my heart.
It was so much fun being with this little pumpkin. She was so happy and full of life, it really warmed my heart. This family needed some childlike wonder.
The Christmas decorations in Idaho Falls are incredible!
Lights everywhere!
The city sponsors a decorating contest and it must be a very coveted award because the whole town was decked out.
A few years ago we started a tradition of a Christmas Eve walk along the Snake River which is extremely beautiful in all its frozen wonder. It's cold, we're the only people out, but it's also nice to get out and enjoy some of God's beauty.
This happened on Christmas Day. If you know anything about me then you know I'm not a fan of winter. When it's this cold and snowy, just let me stay inside. Arizona or bust!
Miss G had so much fun opening her gifts.
Her favorite was a Rapunzel Barbie that Santa brought. I don't think her mom was too happy with Santa for getting a doll with "real" hair.
Happy and beautiful mom and daughter! I'm so proud of all my girls. They are strong, independent women who also happen to be fierce democrats. I did something right!
Then it was time to go home. Winter travel is always questionable and this year was worse than usual. This is our plane getting de-iced before takeoff. We waited for our plane at the airport for almost six hours that night in Idaho Falls. It took a lot of time to get home and a rental car from Denver to Colorado Springs, but we eventually made it at 3:00 a.m. Then I got a couple hours sleep before heading to work.
We're going to hit the road again in a few days to visit more family. After that I'm going to stay home for awhile. I'm exhausted.
I need a vacation from Christmas. I have some really exciting things to look forward to in 2017 though so that is what is keeping me going!
Comments