Montreal - Day One
I think it's time to share a little about our recent trip to Montreal.
We had an evening flight direct from Denver to Montreal on Air Canada. I worked most of the day then Irv picked me up and we headed to Denver. (This is how life feels when you're off work for a few days and headed on a new adventure in a foreign country.)
Our flight was delayed and we didn't get to Montreal until about 1:30 in the morning. By the time we went through customs and got to our hotel it was 2:30. Luckily we had booked a room at the Marriott located right inside the airport. We went to sleep and in the morning we joined up with Dana, Adam, and GiGi for breakfast and then began our adventures.
We hung out there for quite a while enjoying pastries and more beverages because nobody wanted to go back out in the cold. It was really nice because they had a kid's play area that entertained GiGi. Everyone was happy.
When it was time to check into the apartment we headed out on foot with Dana navigating the city streets. Our apartment was on the third floor of a building in the Mont Royal neighborhood. I wish I had taken pictures of the steps to get up there. They were super steep, narrow, and somewhat scary. It was a workout every time we had to walk up there.
Jillian was brave and drove up from New York. I didn't know that Montreal was so French. All the street signs were in French, everyone spoke French, it was hard to remember that we weren't in France. She's a brave girl! Once she arrived the men took her car over to the bus station to retrieve the baggage. I had to pack for a vacation followed by a week of training. Two totally different types of clothing so I had a huge suitcase. I was wondering how I was going to get it up those stairs, but luckily either my sweet hubby or son-in-law took care of it for me.
Jillian's car was parked on the street, but had to be moved a couple times during the night to comply with the very odd parking regulations. The next morning Irv moved the car to a big public garage about 30 minutes away and that's where it stayed until it was time to go home.
We put in a lot of steps while we were there. Walking and the metro was our mode of transportation. The first night we ventured out in search of poutine.
What is poutine? A Montreal dish made of french fries, gravy and cheese curds. Yes, it is as heavenly as it sounds.
That was the end of day one. Stay tuned for day two.
We had an evening flight direct from Denver to Montreal on Air Canada. I worked most of the day then Irv picked me up and we headed to Denver. (This is how life feels when you're off work for a few days and headed on a new adventure in a foreign country.)
Our flight was delayed and we didn't get to Montreal until about 1:30 in the morning. By the time we went through customs and got to our hotel it was 2:30. Luckily we had booked a room at the Marriott located right inside the airport. We went to sleep and in the morning we joined up with Dana, Adam, and GiGi for breakfast and then began our adventures.
We took a bus from the airport into the town center and checked our bags into the bus station since we couldn't check into the apartment until later in the afternoon. From there we started a walking tour of Montreal. The city is beautiful and there are numerous neighborhood parks just like this one.
The only problem was that it was cold and I mean bone chilling cold. Adam found us a charming little coffee house. I don't drink coffee, but they made me a hot chocolate with soy milk. It was wonderful!
We hung out there for quite a while enjoying pastries and more beverages because nobody wanted to go back out in the cold. It was really nice because they had a kid's play area that entertained GiGi. Everyone was happy.
When it was time to check into the apartment we headed out on foot with Dana navigating the city streets. Our apartment was on the third floor of a building in the Mont Royal neighborhood. I wish I had taken pictures of the steps to get up there. They were super steep, narrow, and somewhat scary. It was a workout every time we had to walk up there.
Jillian was brave and drove up from New York. I didn't know that Montreal was so French. All the street signs were in French, everyone spoke French, it was hard to remember that we weren't in France. She's a brave girl! Once she arrived the men took her car over to the bus station to retrieve the baggage. I had to pack for a vacation followed by a week of training. Two totally different types of clothing so I had a huge suitcase. I was wondering how I was going to get it up those stairs, but luckily either my sweet hubby or son-in-law took care of it for me.
Jillian's car was parked on the street, but had to be moved a couple times during the night to comply with the very odd parking regulations. The next morning Irv moved the car to a big public garage about 30 minutes away and that's where it stayed until it was time to go home.
We put in a lot of steps while we were there. Walking and the metro was our mode of transportation. The first night we ventured out in search of poutine.
What is poutine? A Montreal dish made of french fries, gravy and cheese curds. Yes, it is as heavenly as it sounds.
That was the end of day one. Stay tuned for day two.
Comments