A day at the theater
As usual lately I'm really behind on updating my blog. Oh well, better late than never.
On April 30th Irv and I celebrated 39 years of marriage. I really am in disbelief of how that is possible. It seems like just yesterday.
Anyway, we take turns arranging the celebration. Irv actually got two years to plan this one since we didn't do anything last year. He did fantastic though.
It started with a drive to Denver. When we pulled into the Performing Arts Center parking lot I figured we were going to a show, but it was only 9:00 in the morning. An even better surprise--a backstage tour of the Performing Arts Complex. Did you know that the Denver Performing Arts Center is the largest theater complex located under one roof in the country?
I'm not the type of person who would ever want to be in the spotlight on stage, but behind the scenes is a different story. We got to tour the "creative" space where sets are built, costumes are designed, rehearsals take place, etc. It was quite a learning experience.
Before they actually build a set they make mock ups of what they envision it to look like and how it will appear once it's moved into the theater. Above is a tiny representation of a set.
There were enormous closets filled with previously used costumes. This is one of the smaller closets.
And of course there are accessories--wigs, hats, masks.
This is where the stage is actually built. When finished it is disassembled, loaded onto a truck, and moved about a block away to the theater.
This is where things are painted...walls, motorcycles, etc...whatever is needed to complete a set.
There were multiple studios used for rehearsals and auditions. Keep in mind that all this stuff is for Denver's local community theater. Quite a setup for community theater.
Then we got to head over to the Buell Theater. This is what they call the "cash cow" of the complex. This is where the big touring companies put on the Broadway shows. This is a picture of the ghost light. A ghost light is a single bulb left burning whenever a theater is dark. Some argue that its function is to chase away mischievous spirits; others insist it lights the way for the ghosts that are said to inhabit virtually every theater, keeping them happy and contented. Either way, that light ensures that no one takes an accidental tumble off the stage.
What I really like about the Buell were the paintings that lined the walls backstage aka Actor's Alley. Whenever a show is there they paint the show bill on the wall and the actors sign it. Above is the presidential seal signed by President Bill Clinton when he spoke there in 1998 at some type of summit.
Bill Gates has also spoken there.
I snapped a few shots of some of my favorite shows that I've seen at the Buell--Wicked, Phantom of the Opera.
Book of Mormon..hilarious.
Then of course I had to snap a photo of Sweeney Todd, the show we were seeing that afternoon (not the Broadway version, but the local community theater version).
We got to take a look in the dressing rooms and of course who can't resist doing "jazz hands" in front of the lights?
After a quick lunch we made our way back to the Stage Theater for the afternoon performance of Todd Sweeney. I must admit that I had never seen this show because the whole story kind of turned me off--barber who kills people and the baker downstairs who bakes them into meat pies. I was wrong though...it was hilarious although the story was a little dark and disturbing. I loved it!
Now I said this was put on by the local community theater. I need to clarify. It may be a local production, but the lead roles are hired actors who have credits on Broadway and TV. The smaller roles might be locals, but it was Broadway quality!
What a guy! He plans a day for his wife at the theater. He knows what I love and that's why I love him!
What are we doing to do for year 40?
On April 30th Irv and I celebrated 39 years of marriage. I really am in disbelief of how that is possible. It seems like just yesterday.
Anyway, we take turns arranging the celebration. Irv actually got two years to plan this one since we didn't do anything last year. He did fantastic though.
It started with a drive to Denver. When we pulled into the Performing Arts Center parking lot I figured we were going to a show, but it was only 9:00 in the morning. An even better surprise--a backstage tour of the Performing Arts Complex. Did you know that the Denver Performing Arts Center is the largest theater complex located under one roof in the country?
I'm not the type of person who would ever want to be in the spotlight on stage, but behind the scenes is a different story. We got to tour the "creative" space where sets are built, costumes are designed, rehearsals take place, etc. It was quite a learning experience.
Before they actually build a set they make mock ups of what they envision it to look like and how it will appear once it's moved into the theater. Above is a tiny representation of a set.
This is where artists work imagining every little detail of what will eventually be on stage. I want to work here. Can you imagine having a job where creativity is expected? When you work in IT creativity is not encouraged.
Costumes are designed and made first with muslin before the "real" thing is handcrafted.
There were enormous closets filled with previously used costumes. This is one of the smaller closets.
And of course there are accessories--wigs, hats, masks.
This is where the stage is actually built. When finished it is disassembled, loaded onto a truck, and moved about a block away to the theater.
This is where things are painted...walls, motorcycles, etc...whatever is needed to complete a set.
There were multiple studios used for rehearsals and auditions. Keep in mind that all this stuff is for Denver's local community theater. Quite a setup for community theater.
Then we got to head over to the Buell Theater. This is what they call the "cash cow" of the complex. This is where the big touring companies put on the Broadway shows. This is a picture of the ghost light. A ghost light is a single bulb left burning whenever a theater is dark. Some argue that its function is to chase away mischievous spirits; others insist it lights the way for the ghosts that are said to inhabit virtually every theater, keeping them happy and contented. Either way, that light ensures that no one takes an accidental tumble off the stage.
What I really like about the Buell were the paintings that lined the walls backstage aka Actor's Alley. Whenever a show is there they paint the show bill on the wall and the actors sign it. Above is the presidential seal signed by President Bill Clinton when he spoke there in 1998 at some type of summit.
Bill Gates has also spoken there.
I snapped a few shots of some of my favorite shows that I've seen at the Buell--Wicked, Phantom of the Opera.
Book of Mormon..hilarious.
Then of course I had to snap a photo of Sweeney Todd, the show we were seeing that afternoon (not the Broadway version, but the local community theater version).
We got to take a look in the dressing rooms and of course who can't resist doing "jazz hands" in front of the lights?
After a quick lunch we made our way back to the Stage Theater for the afternoon performance of Todd Sweeney. I must admit that I had never seen this show because the whole story kind of turned me off--barber who kills people and the baker downstairs who bakes them into meat pies. I was wrong though...it was hilarious although the story was a little dark and disturbing. I loved it!
Now I said this was put on by the local community theater. I need to clarify. It may be a local production, but the lead roles are hired actors who have credits on Broadway and TV. The smaller roles might be locals, but it was Broadway quality!
What a guy! He plans a day for his wife at the theater. He knows what I love and that's why I love him!
What are we doing to do for year 40?
Comments