Caucus, what the heck is a caucus?

Yesterday was Super Tuesday.  My state is a caucus state.

What the heck is a caucus?  I had a general idea.  I pictured it as a room full of people with a dividing line between the supporters of each candidate.  Lots of arguing and trying to convince the others to come to the their side.

I knew the democratic caucus for my precinct would be small since I live in a redneck, Trump loving, Republican county.

This is how small.




Yes, seven participants.  (See the lady in the Bernie shirt?  Isn't that cool?)

We were on our own with only a packet of instructions.  Nobody had been to a caucus in recent history.  The first order of business was to elect a Caucus Chairman and a Secretary.  The man in the cowboy hat, Gordon, became the chairman mainly because he was the first one there and he received the packet.  I became the secretary.

Then we had to read two pages of rules, then a straw poll was taken.  4 for Bernie/3 for Hillary.  We then had discussion and the binding poll was taken--nothing changed.

We then had to complete this very complicated math worksheet to figure out how many delegates each candidate was authorized.  It turned out that Hillary got .85% of a delegate and Bernie got 1.15%.  Then it was time to elect delegates.  I said I'd do it for Hillary and guess what?  My two other Hillary supporters agreed.

The Bernie people picked their delegate.  We chose an alternate.  We filled out lots of paperwork.  Then we adjourned.

So off to the County Convention I go on March 12th.  The state went drastically in favor of Bernie so my delegate ambitions may end at the county level, but in a perfect world I would like to go to the state convention and take a shot at being a national delegate.

I support Hillary.  She may not be the perfect candidate, but she by far the most reasonable, most experienced candidate.  She doesn't build a platform of hatred and ignorance.  She isn't endorsed by the KKK.  She's not offensive to every woman or person of color.  She believes in families and building bridges, not walls.  She knows it takes a village.  You know what else?  I'm tired of being surrounded by middle-aged white men who think a woman is incapable of running the country (or a department for that matter).  I'm tired of women not getting to vote until 1920.  I'm tired of women not being able to apply for credit without their husband's or father's permission until the 70s.  It's time for a female president.  If this were the 70s I'd jump on the feminist bandwagon.  I'm thankful to Gloria Steinem and the other women who opened doors for women like myself.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

So I'm going to miss out on my annual birthday 5K also known as the St. Paddy's Day 5K to go to this conference.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

#imwithhillary

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Hey Good for You Ellen, I am proud of you. Way to Goooo!!

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!