Out on the trail again

For two days in a row I tried to get out on the trail. 

Friday was my first flex day of the summer.  Woohoo!  I left work and headed over to the Garden of the Gods, but by the time I got there the raindrops were falling.

On Saturday after my painting class I decided to try again.  The skies were threatening, but I decided to give it a try any how.


Due to all the rain and stormy weather that we've had the last few weeks, time on the trails has been non-existent.  Now I'm not complaining about the weather, but I need my sunshine back--at least every now and then.  This trail that I normally take adds about a mile to my normal route, but I obeyed the signs and skipped it.


This normally dry creek bed had a pretty good amount of water flowing through it.


Around here you pay attention to the weather.  The park sits alongside the Waldo Canyon fire burn scar and when it rains, it floods...quickly.


The trails were in a better than expected condition.


There were a few muddy spots, but I managed to get past them without getting my running shoes dirty.


I did a very bad thing on this hike.  I had not told anybody where I was going.  Irv was working so I was out by myself.  I passed a total of five people on the trail...kind of strange for a Saturday afternoon.  I assume other people were a little concerned about the potential for rain.


It occurred to me at one point that if I slipped and fell down a cliff nobody would not where to find me...although I had my phone with me with Friend Finder on so Irv would know where to look.  He's quite a stalker.  (There's all kinds of stalkers--lots of people read my blog, but never leave a comment; the people who read your posts on Facebook, but never post a status of their own; husbands and daughters who watch your every move on Friend Finder.  You know who you are!)  :)


After about 2 1/2 miles I had to exit onto the Central Garden walkway.  This is where the majority of tourists walk through the park.  People everywhere.  If you ever come to Colorado Springs and want to see the rock formations in the park without all these people around, let me know.  It's much more enjoyable up on the bluffs where you get fantastic pictures like this.


There were a few rock climbers out, but you can't really see them in the picture below.


Down in the Central Garden I met back up with one of the people I passed on the trail--a paramedic who patrols the trails during the summer...probably for those flatlanders who get themselves in trouble.  What a great job.


I made it back to my car in about an hour.  It was so refreshing to get out for some fresh air and to enjoy God's beauty.  I had a 20,000 step day yesterday--almost 10 miles in all.  It feels good to get those muscles moving!

Hopefully next time my sweetie will be able to join me.

Have a good week!

Comments

Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Thanks for taking us along on your walk. Don't be slipping an falling. I wonder sometimes also how somebody would find me if I slipped and fell in some of the places I go.
polcat24 said…
I don't like to be the only one to comment, it seems kinda self serving to make comments on your own wife's blog. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!