Dogs everywhere!
As with most things in our family, it was a competition to see who could raise the most funds for the Humane Society. Irv was the grand champion with $195 in donations. The three of us raised a total of $430 for the critters in need in our community. Thanks to everyone who donated!
The event was considerably smaller this year probably because they did not have an official timer. Without a timer the "real" runners aren't going to show up and support this event. But there were a lot of dogs of every shape and color.
There were a lot of "pairs" of dogs...like these Basset Hounds.
And these Springer Spaniels
And the most adorable Corgies...one walking and the other riding in a wagon. (Not long after the start of the race both Corgies were in the wagon.)
My best buddy, Diesel, was excited to be there and was on his best behavior.
The course was two laps around the park. Bella's short legs did fine the first lap, but she needed a lift from Pappy during the second lap.
Jillian had to stop and repair some blisters.
It was a beautiful warm day for September. Bella worried me because she wouldn't drink any water during the race, she had to wait until we finished.
What would a Pawtoberfest be without some adult refreshments?
Of course this is Irv's favorite refreshment.
Bella had a great time rolling in the grass. You'd have thought she had never seen grass before.
These dogs were having a bit of fun at the beer tent too.
There were dogs in strollers...strollers made for dogs. I have just one things to say about dogs in strollers...really? Dogs love to walk, let them walk. It's ridicules to put a dog in a stroller. If they're too fat to walk, then they really need to walk. If they're too old to walk, leave them at home like I did with my two dogs.
There were kittens for adoption. Aren't they adorable? Irv said "no". (He's mean don't you think?)
I don't think I really need to say anything about this...one of the joys (or embarrassment) of living in Colorado.
We chose to walk back to the parking lot instead of subjecting the dogs to another ride on the shuttle bus. The dogs got to cool their feet.
Diesel loves the water!
Another fun day at the Pawtoberfest. Next week...the Zombie 5K run! The things a grandmother will do to make her grandson happy.
I've had several people ask me lately how many runs I've participated in this year. Apparently the only thing I ever post about on FB are status updates about the runs I'm participating in. I hadn't really kept track, but just for fun I thought I'd review my FB postings to see if I could get a count. Here's the results.
September 2013 - Pawtoberfest 5K
March 2014 - St. Patrick's Day 5K
May 2014 - Take 5 in the Garden of the Gods 5K, Run to the Shrine 5K, and Wounded Warrior's 5K in Albuquerque
June 2014 - Garden of the Gods 5K (yes, another one), Sailin' Shoes 10K, and Veterans Home 5K
July 2014 - Mad Run for Hearing 5K in Idaho Falls
August 2014 - Run for Rwanda 5K
September 2014 - Bronco's 7K and Pawtoberfest 5K
10 5Ks, 1 7K, and 1 10K. Not bad for someone who has never been a runner. This was the year I decided to take charge of my health and get fit so that I grow old gracefully just like my dad who is doing amazingly well at the age of 86. He's still active, plays bridge, and works out at least a couple times a week.
Upcoming Runs - Zombie Run 5K (next week) and Tulsa Run 5K (October in Tulsa)
Who's joining me?


Comments
I think having a timer and official course is kind of expensive. The organization may have been better off financially without the timer.