Going up!

I talked the family into supporting the zoo through the annual "Run to the Shrine" on Saturday.  It's either a 5K or a 10K through the zoo and up to the Will Rogers Shrine.  This is the only day during the year where foot traffic is allowed up to the Shrine.

Before the race we were energized and ready to go.


We were chomping at the bit to get going.


Unfortunately, that enthusiasm didn't last very long.  We were very quickly reminded that our zoo was built on the side of Cheyenne Mountain.  Up, up, up we went.  As you can see we're in the back of the pack with the walkers.  The runners are somewhere far, far ahead.  We lost track of Mr. Beans and Irv way back at the start line.


Finally--the 1 mile marker and a water stop!  24 minutes for the first mile which isn't too bad considering the 8% grade we were going up.  That means only a little over half a mile until the top--woohoo!


Just as Mary and I were thinking we were almost at the summit we came around a switchback and looked up.  Oh no...there's no way I can get up there.  I wanted to turn around and quit, but I knew we had to keep going.  Please notice the kid on the left side of the road who has already summited and is on his way back down (showoff!).


Pretty soon we saw a familiar face coming toward us with an exhausted look on his face.


Apparently the kids' knees were killing him on the downhill slope.  Just wait another 40 years kid--you don't know anything about aches and pains yet.  I have just one more question...where is pappy?


We found Pappy about 8 minutes behind Mr. Beans.  He's not looking too great either.


About this time Mary and I thought we were about to die, then we passed the 4 mile sign.  I knew it--we took the 10K route.  That must be why this feels like the neverending 5K.


There it is!  We're almost there!


2 miles?  We were at 2 miles about 12.5 miles ago.


Mary and I took a couple minutes to stop and enjoy the Shrine.  It's the first, and quite likely the last time I'll ever be up there (until next year).


We also needed the pictures to prove that we made it to the top.  By the way Mr. Beans and Irv, how do we know you really made it to the top?


We even had a celebratory "Cheers" at the two mile water stop.



Now it's time to go down.  We passed this lady on the way down.  Now what do I have to complain about?  This lady pushed herself all the way up there on one leg.  I do wonder how she got down the hill on that scooter.



At one point there was nobody in front of us.  That confirmed my suspicion that I am really slow.  Oh well, I was just loving being out there.


Then we came to mile 5.  I'm pretty sure it was really mile 25.


Is that Mr. Beans?  Awe...sweet kid came back up to meet us.


He cheered us on and told us the finish line was right around the corner.  I didn't quite believe him, but I was wrong--there it is!




My time was a little over 1:12.  I know, really sad for a 5K, but you know what--I'm thrilled with that time.  I was 507th place out of 7 hundred and some.  Not bad for an old lady.

Mr. Beans was 98th, Irv was 209th, and Mary was 506th (right in front of her mom).  It was such a fun day!  The muscles were a little unhappy later in the day and were down right angry this morning when I got out of bed, but I'd gladly do it again.

Next week--Wounded Warriors Run in Albuquerque with Jillian and Brian.  Brian is going to do the ruck sack race so that he doesn't leave the rest of us too far back in his dust.  Can't wait!

Of course no trip to the zoo is complete without a visit to see the giraffes.



So what did you do this weekend to challenge yourself?

Comments

polcat24 said…
OMG!!! I'm still hurting Monday morning. This was the hardest 5K yet. And i't getting embarrassing that the Grandson keeps beating me.
Yogi♪♪♪ said…
Wow, good for all of you. That course is brutal. Mr. Beans really shined. I'm not sure that I would have finished. Great job.
Brenda Hammer said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Skywatch Friday: A little close for comfort

Skywatch Friday: Upper and Lower Falls

Skywatch Friday: Wild Horses!