Patience, patience, and more patience
I get to go for my second painting class today!
Last week I learned a lot about instant gratification. You see the only painting I have ever done before involved two hours, an instructor, and wine (lots of wine). In that short time frame the class would complete their painting. It was fun and provided instant gratification.
At my painting class last week I spent most of my time fixing colors together trying to get the perfect shade. Once I got the perfect shade I'd get to apply it to the canvas for that part of the background.
So here's what I came up with after 2 1/2 hours.
My instructor was so impressed with my sky--it has three different shades of blue. Really? It's just a blue sky. I think she was just trying to be nice and make me feel good.
So I got to bring my painting home, but was told not to touch it, just let it dry. I'm using oil paints which take forever to dry unlike the acrylics used in those sip and paint classes which dry almost instantly. Today my goal is to bring it home from class without getting paint all over my clothes and the inside of my car.
So today I go to add the next layer of my painting, I don't know what that will be yet. At this rate I may be done with this painting in about 3.2 years.
Here's what I'm hoping to recreate. It's a picture I took from Horsetooth Mountain near Ft. Collins a few years ago when Irv and I were hiking. There's been a tremendous fire in this area since then so I doubt it looks like this anymore, but it's one of my favorite photos.
Wish me luck (I'm going to need it!).
Last week I learned a lot about instant gratification. You see the only painting I have ever done before involved two hours, an instructor, and wine (lots of wine). In that short time frame the class would complete their painting. It was fun and provided instant gratification.
At my painting class last week I spent most of my time fixing colors together trying to get the perfect shade. Once I got the perfect shade I'd get to apply it to the canvas for that part of the background.
So here's what I came up with after 2 1/2 hours.
So I got to bring my painting home, but was told not to touch it, just let it dry. I'm using oil paints which take forever to dry unlike the acrylics used in those sip and paint classes which dry almost instantly. Today my goal is to bring it home from class without getting paint all over my clothes and the inside of my car.
So today I go to add the next layer of my painting, I don't know what that will be yet. At this rate I may be done with this painting in about 3.2 years.
Here's what I'm hoping to recreate. It's a picture I took from Horsetooth Mountain near Ft. Collins a few years ago when Irv and I were hiking. There's been a tremendous fire in this area since then so I doubt it looks like this anymore, but it's one of my favorite photos.
Wish me luck (I'm going to need it!).
Comments