Horse Bowl Time!
On Thursday Irv, Jillian, and I were in Ft. Collins for the Colorado 4-H State Conference Horse Bowl Tournament. I've served as superintendent of this contest for several year. It's a volunteer job I'm afraid I'll have forever.
This contest takes place at one of my favorite places on earth--CSU in Fort Collins.
This contest takes place at one of my favorite places on earth--CSU in Fort Collins.
Jillian served as our scorekeeper. I found out she is a little OCD about making straight lines on the whiteboard. (I wonder who she gets that from.)
I have a great team of volunteers that show up year after year to help with the contest. They all promised they would be back next year.
I tabulate the scores during the contest. Most people do this by hand, but I made an Excel spreadsheet with all kinds of formulas that do all the calculating for me (if it's possible to do something with a spreadsheet, I'll do it).
It's against the rules to take pictures during an actual round of horse bowl so I don't have any action shots of the kids. The contest went from 7:30 a.m until about 2:30. It was a big contest and for the first time in several years we had to take a lunch break and then resume play afterwards. It was a good contest, the team that won is from El Paso County. It's a double elimination tournament and El Paso County fought to win the loser's bracket and then went on to win the whole thing.
Of course no trip to CSU is complete without a stop at the bookstore to load up on Rams apparel especially now that I am an official alumni.
We somehow managed to leave Fort Collins in time to hit rush hour traffic in Denver--bumper to bumper traffic forever. It took 3 hours to get home! I think I'd go nuts if I had to deal with that traffic everyday.
It was a fun day--I really appreciate all my volunteers including Irv who manages the holding room and Jillian who wrote all the questions (300+ questions) and kept score. Thank you!
This morning I was putting away all the paraphernalia that a horse bowl contest requires. I picked up the suitcase of resource books to move into the closet and pulled every muscle on the left side of my back. Since then I've been on pain meds and muscle relaxers in bed with the heating pad. Note to self--next year use the rollers on the suitcase instead of trying to pick it up.
Comments
Take care lifting that thing. Gramps has a fence post concreted in that needs to come out and be replaced. I think that project will work the kinks out. I'll be there to photograph the event. Maybe Sweetie can help you?