A crazy day in southern Colorado
It's that time of year again--hot, dry, and windy--which makes for a deadly combination. After the Waldo Canyon fire last year I didn't think we would see a fire like this so close to the city again.
Last night we had a fire start on the Air Force Academy. Today there is another one north of town in the Black Forest--this one I can see from my office window. There are two more fires south of Colorado Springs near the Royal Gorge and La Veta.
From my office window I was able to watch the Black Forest fire explode rapidly.
Below are some shots I took on my drive home from work. This fire covers a huge area with lots of beautiful homes, the smoke plume extends for 50 miles. So far the news is saying 7-8 homes have burned. We have many friends who have been evacuated. Along with my concern for people, I am concerned about the animals. There are lots of horse owners in this area.
Last night we had a fire start on the Air Force Academy. Today there is another one north of town in the Black Forest--this one I can see from my office window. There are two more fires south of Colorado Springs near the Royal Gorge and La Veta.
From my office window I was able to watch the Black Forest fire explode rapidly.
Below are some shots I took on my drive home from work. This fire covers a huge area with lots of beautiful homes, the smoke plume extends for 50 miles. So far the news is saying 7-8 homes have burned. We have many friends who have been evacuated. Along with my concern for people, I am concerned about the animals. There are lots of horse owners in this area.
As I turned south to head home the smoke from the Royal Gorge fire was hanging in the sky.
Praying for rain.
There's only one thing good about forest fires--they provide sensational sunsets.
Comments