Coming out of our ears
For some reason this year I planted about 30 zucchini plants. They have grown like weeds and now we have zucchini coming out of our ears.
How many ways can one eat zucchini? Irv's favorite way is zucchini bread. Anything that has 2 1/2 cups of sugar in it has to be good. When I made a batch earlier this week I didn't have enough sugar so I substituted one cup of sugar with 2/3 cup of agave nectar. It was still as good as ever and maybe a little healthier. I've been faithfully sticking to the Weight Watchers plan and one slice of zucchini bread is 6 points. Since my daily limit is 29 points, I had just one slice this week. (I've lost 12 pounds in three weeks!!!)
Another of my favorite ways to eat zucchini is grilled. I slice it up and put it in a basket on the grill. Yum!
A couple ladies at work suggested stuffed zucchini.
I found a recipe online that I used as a guideline, but as I went along I modified it to my taste.
I started by hollowing out the zucchinis and steaming them in the oven for 15 minutes.
While they were cooking I mixed up some ground beef, onions, and garlic. Is there anything that smells better than onions and garlic?
In a separate bowl I mixed the zucchini innards with bread crumbs, rosemary, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Then I mixed it all together and stirred in a can of tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. (I think this might make a good sauce for lasagna too.)
The zucchinis were stuffed, topped with cheese, and baked for a few more minutes.
I have to say they were quite good. The zucchini was not mushy--I hate mushy zucchini.
What zucchini recipe can I try next?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
How many ways can one eat zucchini? Irv's favorite way is zucchini bread. Anything that has 2 1/2 cups of sugar in it has to be good. When I made a batch earlier this week I didn't have enough sugar so I substituted one cup of sugar with 2/3 cup of agave nectar. It was still as good as ever and maybe a little healthier. I've been faithfully sticking to the Weight Watchers plan and one slice of zucchini bread is 6 points. Since my daily limit is 29 points, I had just one slice this week. (I've lost 12 pounds in three weeks!!!)
Another of my favorite ways to eat zucchini is grilled. I slice it up and put it in a basket on the grill. Yum!
A couple ladies at work suggested stuffed zucchini.
I found a recipe online that I used as a guideline, but as I went along I modified it to my taste.
I started by hollowing out the zucchinis and steaming them in the oven for 15 minutes.
While they were cooking I mixed up some ground beef, onions, and garlic. Is there anything that smells better than onions and garlic?
In a separate bowl I mixed the zucchini innards with bread crumbs, rosemary, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Then I mixed it all together and stirred in a can of tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. (I think this might make a good sauce for lasagna too.)
The zucchinis were stuffed, topped with cheese, and baked for a few more minutes.
I have to say they were quite good. The zucchini was not mushy--I hate mushy zucchini.
What zucchini recipe can I try next?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Comments
People at work bring whole bags of zucchini and leave them in the break room.